Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

VRRP failover delay

Hello

VRRP on FortiGate fails over in a minimum of 3s and I couldn't find a way to reduce it more.

Tried to use VRRP v3 but I got the same.

By the way VRRP v3 timers should be configurable in millisecond but on FortiGate it is still in seconds.

Any idea on how to reduce failover time to 1 or 2s?

AEK
AEK
1 Solution
srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

As of now VRRP timers in milliseconds is not available in Fortigate, but the good news is our engineering team is already working on this request and we can expect this feature in upcoming releases.

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
pgautam
Staff
Staff

Hi @AEK 

On FGT default VRRP advertisement messages are sent once every second. The frequency can be changed with the adv-interval option to change the frequency of sending these messages (1 - 255 seconds). These frequency messages are in seconds.

The adv-interval also affects the period of time that a backup VRRP router waits before assuming the primary router has failed. The waiting period is three times the adv-interval. For example, if the adv-interval is set to 1, then the backup router waits for up to 3 seconds to receive a VRRP advertisement from the current primary router before taking over the role of the primary router. 

I found one article for the active failover using the link-monitor. 

Please check the below link if it helps you:-

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-VRRP-Active-failover-with-link-monitor/ta-...

Regards

Priyanka

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Thanks Priyanka

But actually my concern is how to reduce this fail-over delay below 3 seconds.

This should be doable with VRRP v3 but it seems not the case on FortiGate.

AEK
AEK
srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

As of now VRRP timers in milliseconds is not available in Fortigate, but the good news is our engineering team is already working on this request and we can expect this feature in upcoming releases.

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors