Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

VPN pre-shared key

Just wondering if anybody else experienced this: The only way I can get the pre-shared key to work is if I manually enter the pre-shared key into the FortiGate (copy and paste won' t work). I want a really complex randomly generated key and it takes a really long time to enter it in manually. I am able to copy and paste that same pre-shared key into the Forti-Client which saves some time. But I could save more time if I could copy and paste it into the FortiGate.
15 REPLIES 15
Not applicable

I used uppercase, lowercase, and special characters in the pre-shared key and it worked OK when I typed them into the FortiGate. I' ll check to see the character set between the source and destination are the same to see if that caused problems with the copy-and-paste. It might save me some time if anybody can tell me what format Notepad (my source) uses and what format the FortiGate (my destination) uses.
abelio

Notepad alphabet and charset are windows configurable. Same thing the application terminal you use to access yor FTG, hyperterminal, SSH, whatever; i.e. hyperterminal has a conf setting to deal with more than 80 chars lines, if break line or not, these kind of things; I am not saying that it' s your situation, but you' re using long PSK with extended chars. Try a vpn test copy and pasting some shorter PSK with basic characters to see what' s happening

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Not applicable

Abelio, what Paul and I have seen is this scenario: -Create a random password in Notepad -Copy to Windows Clipboard -Paste into Fortinet Web GUI in IE or Firefox So it' s not a case of pasting into any type of terminal application, it' s simply copying and pasting from notepad to Internet Explorer or Firefox (I have seen this with both browsers so that would indicate it' s a FW GUI issue).
Not applicable

FYI, this also happens with shorter passwords, say 10-16 characters.
abelio

Ok, sorry loorimar, i couldn' t reproduce the error you' ve described; I' ve used only Firefox (linux and ' vmwared' -windowsXP only)

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Use Wordpad. Notepad does some funny Windows crap to things....

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors