Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Pi007
New Contributor II

VPN connection failed

Within the last few days one of our users forticlient VPN has been failing to connect and comes up with the below error 

"VPN connection failed. Please check your configuration, network connection and pre-shared key then retry your connection."

Nothing has changed with his broadband connection and it has all work previously 

Steps i have done so far

• Uninstalled and reinstalled Forticlient with latest version → same error

• deleted the VPN profile and re-created → same error

• tested with personal logins → same error

• setup different VPN profile and tested → same error

• tested user login details on 2 other computers in different locations both times logged in → not a username/password problem

• rebooted laptop → same error

• Checked TSL settings 1.1 and 1.2 are ticked - same error

• added Forticlient to firewall to allow through - same error

• checked if any spaces had been added when copying pre-shared key, gateway and local ID details → there where none

I am pretty much running out of ideas as what else could be the problem. Any suggestions would be great

Thanks 

16 REPLIES 16
vsahu
Staff
Staff

Hello Pi007,
can you check on the machine if the dell optimizer application is running or not? If yes please uninstall it and check.

Also, I'll suggest registering one of the devices to get the FCRemove tool, so you can uninstall the Forticlient completely from the device and test with the new installation.

Regards,
Vishal
Pi007
New Contributor II

Hi Vsahu,

dell optimizer was not installed on the computer. 

I used the FCRemove tool and this did not fix the problem. 

Once reinstalled i get the same error. 

tpomar
New Contributor

Hello PI007

I have the same problem as you and I can't find the solution.

Did you manage to solve this problem?

Thank you for your attention.

JKabaci
New Contributor II

I've had a similar problem that affects one user. Have you tried to change the password for the user?

Regards
Regards
Vishu12
New Contributor

Please check your forticlient advance configuration, DH configuration and firewall configuration same it's correct or not. I am also facing same issue with my client. I did same process and it has been resolved. 

Vishwas Gavhane
Vishwas Gavhane
joraanma

Im having the same issue. Can you elaborate a little in what you did to get this fix. Thanks

VinayHM
Staff
Staff

Hi @Pi007 

Can you please check if is there any crash for SSL VPN?

Try to install the latest Forticlient version. 

before installing the new Forticlient version make sure to uninstall the old Forticlinet and remove the cache.

Regards 

Vinay HM
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors