Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Pi007
New Contributor II

VPN connection failed

Within the last few days one of our users forticlient VPN has been failing to connect and comes up with the below error 

"VPN connection failed. Please check your configuration, network connection and pre-shared key then retry your connection."

Nothing has changed with his broadband connection and it has all work previously 

Steps i have done so far

• Uninstalled and reinstalled Forticlient with latest version → same error

• deleted the VPN profile and re-created → same error

• tested with personal logins → same error

• setup different VPN profile and tested → same error

• tested user login details on 2 other computers in different locations both times logged in → not a username/password problem

• rebooted laptop → same error

• Checked TSL settings 1.1 and 1.2 are ticked - same error

• added Forticlient to firewall to allow through - same error

• checked if any spaces had been added when copying pre-shared key, gateway and local ID details → there where none

I am pretty much running out of ideas as what else could be the problem. Any suggestions would be great

Thanks 

16 REPLIES 16
aionescu
Staff
Staff

Hi @Pi007 ,

Since you sau that one of your users has issues, I assume that the others are able to connect. If it is the case, that means that it is less likely to be a FortiGate configuration issue.  If the users that are abble to connect use the same FortiClient version, that would rule out the FortiClient also and would narrow it down to the host itself. If there is an anti-virus software installed, can you try with it disabled?

Also, to get an ideea of what is going on, run this commands on the FortiGate while trying to connect:

diagnose debug reset
diagnose debug application sslvpn -1
diagnose debug application fnbamd -1
diagnose debug enable

Pi007
New Contributor II

HI Aionescu,

I have checked the configuration of the client setup and it is a carbon copy of how mine is and i have no problem connecting to the VPN with mine or the users details. 

Please note i only have access to the FortiClinet VPN software on the users computer to troubleshoot so will not be able to run the debug commands. 

vsahu
Staff
Staff
Pi007
New Contributor II

Hi Vsahu,

Many thanks for the reply, i will give the FCRemove tool a go and see if that helps. I have a remote session booked in for later today so will update once i have been on the computer. 

Pi007
New Contributor II

Afternoon,

I have found the below from the sslvpndaemon_1 trace under logs 

[sslvpndaemon 515 debug] FortiSslvpn: _ReceiveMessage: (00000384)

[8244:13320] [sslvpndaemon 515 debug] FortiSslvpn: Init:ConnectNamedPipe(): Wait(hEventOverLapped) OK.

[8244:13320] [sslvpndaemon 515 debug] FortiSslvpn: before ConnectNamedPipe

[8244:13320] [sslvpndaemon 515 debug] FortiSslvpn: Init:ConnectNamedPipe(): rc=0, err=997

[8244:888] [sslvpndaemon 515 debug] FortiSslvpn: _ReceiveMessage: (00000344)

[8244:888] [sslvpndaemon 515 debug] FortiSslvpn: Broken pipe! Client is exited (3).

Does anyone know what this would point to?

purplelightspark

Hi, I have the same error, did you find a solutions?

vsahu
Staff
Staff

Hello,

Can you confirm if are you able to connect using the browser to the same SSL URL or not from the same machine?

Also, have you tested with FCRemove tool?

Regards,
Vishal
vsahu
Staff
Staff

Also, can you confirm which device the user is using the machine hardware and OS?
There was one issue I was able to find in which the dell optimizer application was causing similar behavior with forticlient.

Regards,
Vishal
Pi007
New Contributor II

Hi Vsahu,

i was unable to download the FCRemove tool as i have no devices resisted in the website. When i went to firmware downloads that is where it stopped for me. 

Details of the device it is a Dell laptop with Windows 10 vers 21h2 installed. We do not have a SSL URL on the client setup, we use an IP address for the remote gateway.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors