Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
abhimanyu
New Contributor

VPN Server may be unreachable (-14) in Windows 10 (Forticlient SSL VPN)

I had tried to setup VPN connection. Using the latest version client and firewall. In windows During the login time it shows

"VPN Server may be unreachable (-14) " . Status shows 80% complete. BUT it works in ANDROID..!!! Anyone resolved this ?

1 Solution
willem_abrie
New Contributor

This error also occur if you use the non-fully licensed VPN client, and the SSL VPN configuration on the fortigate firewall has the "Host Check" option enabled. (SSL VPN Portals -> Tunnel Mode -> Host Check)

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
boneyard

bterronesh wrote:

Worked for me using

SSL 3.0 ✓

TLS 1.0 X

TLS 1.1 ✓

TLS 1.2 ✓ TLS 1.3 (experimental) ✓

please, please, please DONT use SSLv3. it has been unsafe for a long time, it should NOT be used.

if you follow any SSL/TLS related news you see that browsers are stopping support for TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1. that is for a reason and SSLv3 has seen that happen years ago.

Leirbag

Same issue with my connection. TLS 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 were checked since FortiClient installation. I was connecting to my office during weeks without any error. And then VPN connection fails without doing any changes in my configuration. After different attempts with other solutions without success, I've unchecked all these options (TLS...) and try connecting with, obviously, no success. Then I've checked them again and vpn connection is now OK. Strange things...

sw2090
Honored Contributor

That looks like you do not have split tunneling on your vpn plus some means of auto detection on your network interface. This causes you defalut route to be rewritten and then the auto detection gets this an disables or disconnect s your wifi. Some Laptops do this. I once ran into something similar on my laptop when it kept disabling my wifi when ethernet was connected. This can be a bios option and also some manufacturers install some windows service for it.

In my case only disabling that service in windows 10 finally prevented my wifi from being disabled.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
jallen
New Contributor

Greetings,

I too was getting this error.   For me it was the password length.  The original passwords were 16 characters, after dropping the first four (12 character length), the VPN was able to connect.

Seems silly that an industry leading security appliance throws an ambiguous error due to password length.

Tested, confirmed and verified on five different accounts in the same VPN GROUP...

Your mileage may very, but thought I'd share...

Jim

boneyard
Valued Contributor

thank for sharing Jim.

i dont fully agree with the comment of providing limited information to the client, as this can be used to launch an attack.

still the message could be more general, failed, contact your administrator, now it points to something which it often is

Waldeyer
New Contributor

Solved,

Please, check the following itens on Internet Options.

Use SSL 3.0

Use TLS 1.3 (experimantal)

Worked

willem_abrie
New Contributor

This error also occur if you use the non-fully licensed VPN client, and the SSL VPN configuration on the fortigate firewall has the "Host Check" option enabled. (SSL VPN Portals -> Tunnel Mode -> Host Check)

suporte_alerti

I got the same error (unreachable at 80%) and was associated with user password. It is integrated with AD (LDAP) and the user password expired.

User changed the pwd and connect normally.

Brian_M
New Contributor III

willem.abrie@isumo.co.uk wrote:

This was the problem I had for the Windows client (6.4.3). As soon as I disabled host checking, everything started working.

Funny thing is, it works perfectly fine on the Linux (free) client with host checking enabled.

Cabl3s

Had the same Problem, Linux and Android was working fine exept Windows.

Hostcheck option was already off and it was still not working.

In my case was the Restrict to specific OS versions on.

So I disabled it and now it is also working on Win10

:)

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors