Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jdoyon
New Contributor II

VPN Phase 2 stops working after Azure FortiGate-VM Live Migration

Hello,

Trying to understand what happened and how to prevent it in the future:

- Running FortiGate-VM in an Azure VM.

- This FG has a custom site-to-site IPSec tunnel to on-prem. This effectively connects the virtual data centre to the on-premises data centre. Tunnel is initiated from Azure.

- Suddenly, the tunnel no longer works. Phase 2 will not go up.

- The first sign of trouble is this:

Unavailable : Live Migration (Unplanned)

At Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 7:29:19 PM EDT, the Azure monitoring system received the following information regarding your Virtual machine:
This virtual machine was paused for 0.675000 seconds due to a memory-preserving Live Migration operation. No additional action is required from you at this time.

Recommended Steps
  • No action is required 

- A couple of minutes after this, alerts start going off that connectivity has been lost.

- After some trouble shooting, pinging, checking routes, connectivity, rebooting, firmware upgrade, etc. it is determined that Phase 2 simply won't go up. There are timeouts and retries, but no other obvious cause. Config has not changed anywhere, everything else seems to work just fine, it's just this phase 2 that won't work.

- I decide to recreate the tunnel on the originating side, on the FG-VM. Same exact parameters as the previous one, I literally copy / paste everything.

- Voila, tunnel immediately works again.

So:

- It was not a config change issue.

- It was not an actual connectivity issue.

It appears as if that live migration of the VM broke something. My best bet is that there's some persisted entropy, encryption key, salt, or something like that, tied to the hardware or the environment. When the live migration occurred, something stopped working because the environment changed. On physical platforms, coding something that for example uses the MAC key as a "salt" isn't a big deal, as it would never change. But on a VM, it's a problem.

1) Am I right? Or not? Could there be some other explanation as to why a tunnel needs to be re-created? If so what might be the reasons?

2) If I am right, it's now a bug, as this should not happen! VM's can move in all sorts of ways, regardless of the hosting platform (Azure, VSphere, etc.). Can't have a tunnel completely stop working and need to be recreated when a basic virtualization operation occurs.

Any insight would be much appreciated ...

Thanks,

J.F.

Manager, IT Operations and Security
6 REPLIES 6
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello J.F,

Thank you for using the Community Forum.

I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Regards,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello J-F,

I have found this big guide:

https://fortinetweb.s3.amazonaws.com/docs.fortinet.com/v2/attachments/df509335-8675-11eb-9995-005056...

You have some topics concerning migration.

Could you please tell me if it helps?

If not, I will continue to find a solution.

Regards,

jdoyon
New Contributor II

I had looked at that ... the word "migration" does not feature anywhere in the document, that I could find (i.e. CTRL-F "migration" yields nothing), doing a search for the word on the web version of that doc yielded nothing either. I did the same in a few other documents without any luck.

Can you clarify what topics you saw that cover Live VM Migration?

Thanks,

J.F.

Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello J-F,

In page 13:

Anthony_E_0-1666188819455.png

It says migrating.

jdoyon
New Contributor II

That's migrating between licence types, completely unrelated to Live VM Migration.

I'll try and open a ticket.

Thanks,

J.F.

Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you J-F and I hope you will have an answer for your questions.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors