Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jmhernandez
Visitor

VPN FortiClient issue 1401 error

Hi,

I downloaded vpn forticlient 7.4.0.1658 with Windows 10 pro 22H2. I configured properly following my organization steps, configure authenticator..., but I'm the only one having issues connecting to vpn.

I'm using user and pwnd correctly, in other case vpn fails at beginning, but after setting up correct credentials, a new page is created with vpn connecting info message (does not finish to connect) and then in error log I discovered this error:

[7020:7024] [FortiVPN 1401 error] !!! fortivpn::StateMachine::HandlePreflight_GetCredentials failed to obtain tunnel credentials

Someone have information about which means this error?.

Thanks a lot

9 REPLIES 9
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Hernandez

• Is it FortiClient or FortiClient VPN (free version)?
  • Is it SSL VPN or IPsec VPN?
  • Do you get any progress percentage when you connect?

AEK
AEK
jmhernandez

Hi AEK,
I'm using FortiClient VPN with SSL VPN. When I try to connect, a new browser tab open with this image, but nothing happens. Checking out logs, I discovered error above (1401 error).

vpn.JPG

AEK

I've never seen such message in browser related to FortiClient.

Where did you download FortiClient?

AEK
AEK
jmhernandez

Hi AEK,

I downloaded from https://www.fortinet.com/lat/support/product-downloads.

download.JPG

Settings:
settings.JPG
Let me know if you know more info about it. Thanks a lot.

AEK

Usually when you don't see progress percentage it can be due to the below pauses :

• FortiTray doesn't start : Install MS Visual C++ Redistributable
  • NIC driver incompatibility : Try change the driver or downgrade it
AEK
AEK
jmhernandez

Hi AEK,

I installed forticlient vpn in 2 new pcs, my old laptop got the same issue and in my desktop it worked perfectly. So checking differences... I removed integrated graphics from my old laptop leaving a dedicated graphic card as main, result... it works it perfectly. So in my current laptop I tried to install as you said ms visual c++ and downgrade intel integrated graphic card (have not got a dedicated graphic card). I tested all these versions (image below) no results.

versions.JPG

AEK

Hi Hermandez

Good finding! Even if I don't have idea on what can the relationship between graphic card and VPN.

So on your current laptop, can you run FortiTray and tell me if you see an error message?

It should be in ProgramFiles/Fortinet/FortiClient/.

As another attempt, can you try an older version of FCT VPN like 7.0.13 or 7.2.5?

AEK
AEK
jmhernandez

Hi AEK,

when I try to run FortiTray nothing happens, only fortiClient logo appeared at right bottom (minimized). I installed 7.2.3.0929 with the same result. Anyway, I don't know if I did a clean installation because this version did not ask me by credentials of tunnel again. (I uninstall it using add/remove programs window tool)

I did not find any other legacy version. Could you give me any URL to get it?.

Thanks!

AEK

Hi Hermandez

Try to share FCT VPN logs that are generated at the time of connection attempt. Once you do the test, export FCT logs and extract the latest logs from the file.

You can download other FortiClient VPN versions from support portal, Support menu > Firmware Download, the select FortiClient and the version. But I see you already tried with 7.2.3 and it didn't work.

AEK
AEK
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors