Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MattiasP
New Contributor

VPN Configuration failure

Hello.

First of all, sorry if I use the wrong terminology. I´m quite new to this.

I want to connect to a VPN, using FortiClient. At the moment I have version 5.6.1.723 installed.

I have a configuration file from the administrator of the server I want to connect to.

When I try to "restore" that configuration file in the FortClient Console, it takes up to 15 minutes for the restore to be completed. After that, I still do not have the connection in my VPN list. It works well for all other users trying to set up the connection this way. It even works for me when using a different computer.

It seems as there is some configuration on my computer that interfere with FortClient.

If I try to add the connection manually I get the error:

"Connection was terminated unexpectedly. Error -104"

All IT support I have available, have not been able to resolve the issue.

Help of any kind is gladly taken,

Mattias

5 REPLIES 5
SteveG
Contributor III

A restore shouldn't take that long. The others this works for do they have the same FC version installed and are using the same restore file?

You could try a more recent FC version 5.6.6 is the most recent in that train although 6.0.0 was released this week.

You've added the VPN manually but is it an IPSec or SSL VPN as IPSec would need a Pre-Shared Key which you can't retrieve from the restore file.

MattiasP

It is IPSec. The Pre-Shared key seems to be in the configuration file, although it is encrypted.

When I was at the administrators office, he upgraded his FC to the same version as me and we could both connect from his computer. We also restored the configuration file with the Pre-Shared key, and that worked.

When I saw your reply, I upgraded to the new version. It is still, after ten minutes, trying to restore the configuration file.

SteveG

You can add the VPN manually but the key in backup file won't work, you'll need to get the unencrypted key from the firewall admin. It's very odd how the restore takes so long then times out. I would try logging on the the laptop with a local admin account and give it another go as it must be something on your laptop causing the issue as the other person was successful using the same FC version and config file.

MattiasP

I have the unencrypted Pre-Shared key. The thing is also that nobody have been able to manually configure this VPN. The only successful way have been through this configuration file with the encrypted Pre-Shared key.

I will try to create a new account on this computer and try to configure it on that one.

Edit: With a new admin account it worked like a charm.

Is there a way to compare relevant settings between the two accounts. Maybe I could figure out what the cause is?

vishal_vernekar

Hi,

i have issue with connecting VPN, since more than week i searched the error that i am getting. i didn't get any solutions

i am using macos catalina

please help me for the same

below is the error i am getting

connection error the vpn Connection  terminates unexpectedly. code 121

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors