Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
firas
New Contributor II

VPN Cisco Anyconnect using Fortigate 200F

Hello all,

I'm using the Fortigate 200F with firmware version 7.2.5.
I want to enable the Cisco Anyconnect remote access VPN using my current fortigate firewall.

I'm asking if there is any tutorials or KBs to help me with the steps for this project.

Many thanks,

1 Solution
pminarik
Staff
Staff

Are we talking SSL-VPN or IPsec? In either case, the answer is most likely "no".

SSL-VPN: This has no standard/RFC, so as a rule of thumb you should always assume no compatibility between vendors, unless explicitly confirmed by either side. (And as far as I know, this is the case here too)

IPsec: IPsec is mostly standardized, and there is even a "Dialup - Cisco IPsec Client" wizard template in FortiOS GUI. However, the last time I've heard about this, this teplate supposedly only works with some old/outdated Anyconnect versions, and new/current Anyconnect clients are reportedly incompatible with general third-party solutions due to some vendor-specific proprietary attributes used by Anyconnect and ASA.

[ corrections always welcome ]

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
adambomb1219
SuperUser
SuperUser

Why?  Why not use FortiClient?  FortiClient has a free option (without TAC support).  Cisco Secure Client requires Essentials or Advantage licensing.

firas
New Contributor II

I'm using the ASA-5515 in my old system, and as upgrade I'm switching to the Fortigate 200F. Regarding the budged, ZTNA will be implemented in 2024, so that's why I will use the anyconnect solution for the moment. 

adambomb1219

ZTNA?  Why not use FortiClient for now?  This is not going to be possible.  Your version of AnyConnect for the 5515 is probably EOL by now anyways.

pminarik
Staff
Staff

Are we talking SSL-VPN or IPsec? In either case, the answer is most likely "no".

SSL-VPN: This has no standard/RFC, so as a rule of thumb you should always assume no compatibility between vendors, unless explicitly confirmed by either side. (And as far as I know, this is the case here too)

IPsec: IPsec is mostly standardized, and there is even a "Dialup - Cisco IPsec Client" wizard template in FortiOS GUI. However, the last time I've heard about this, this teplate supposedly only works with some old/outdated Anyconnect versions, and new/current Anyconnect clients are reportedly incompatible with general third-party solutions due to some vendor-specific proprietary attributes used by Anyconnect and ASA.

[ corrections always welcome ]
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors