Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
FTGmaster
New Contributor

VPN Behind VPN

Hi I need to monitor from my HQ some devices behind a vpun ipsec tunnel established from HQ of my customer to his branch office little schemas: [My HQ [110C] static ip] < vpn ipsec dial up < [Customer HQ [100D] static ip] < vpn ipsec dial up < [Customer Br Off [40C]] Can' t find solution Maybe I can configure directly a Vpn from Branch OFf to My HQ.

FCNSA - FCNSP Certified FortiGate 20D - 30B - 40C - 50B - 60B - 60C - 80C - 100D - 110C FortiAnalyzer 100C FortiAP 220B HA

FCNSA - FCNSP Certified FortiGate 20D - 30B - 40C - 50B - 60B - 60C - 80C - 100D - 110C FortiAnalyzer 100C FortiAP 220B HA
9 REPLIES 9
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

The latter that your proposing would be the better solution. We are assuming the branch device is connected to the internet?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
FTGmaster
New Contributor

yes of course ;) now the vpon are established it' s only a routing problem, to don' t do a second vpn. I tested de latter my ideas and it' s ok. need the first

FTGmaster
New Contributor

maybe fortios 5 is a bit young the only way is tho do a vpn tunnel mode then create right policies, with vpn as interface mode there' s no way. routes don' t works, and phase2 vpn with source addr and dst addr (like 0.0.0.0/0) don' t established...

rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

There should be no reason why choice one cannot be done. I VPN into my home, and from there I can reach any of my clients via the tunnels I have established. This way, I only need to remember (or even have) VPN credentials for one firewall. Basically:
  • Your home firewall needs routes to all the remote networks established (IPSec interface mode)
  • The policies need to be in place on yours and the remote HQ firewalls
  • The correct routing needs to be in place on the remote firewalls
  • The tunnel needs to allow the SSL VPN subnet through it *OR* you use an IP Pool with an address on the already configured network (what I did)
  • Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
    See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
    ede_pfau
    Esteemed Contributor III

...and, as I may add, this applies not only to SSL VPN but to IPsec VPN tunnels as well. It' s just basic routing. Watch out especially for the routing on the remote side.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
    Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
    FTGmaster
    New Contributor

yes, but you have fortios 4. with fortios 5 I can' t. we tried with my fortigate trainer too, and he said that in fact the phase2 doesn' t work if you put as source addr and dest addr 0.0.0.0/0. (to have a single phase2 to the hq) maybe I have to create a single phase2 for each vpn to each remote fgt, passing to the hq fgt. i' ll try.

ede_pfau
    Esteemed Contributor III

Well, you only need to have a tunnel into HQ, and then you assume the role of a local client. Technically, you do a source NAT with an unused IP address from the HQ LAN. This way, the HQ router cannot distinguish your remote host from any other local HQ host and let you route into the branch subnets. To do that, configure - an IP pool with just one IP address - from the HQ subnet, unused, reserved for you - check " NAT" , " dynamic" and select this IP pool in the policy ' yourLAN' ->' HQ' - create static routes to all branch subnets on your FGT, pointing to the HQ tunnel And of course this is all much easier in VPN interface mode than in policy mode. And no, there' s no reason why this setup should not work in FOS 5. I use it myself for administration of a customer' s LAN where I need a local IP address as target for TFTP transmissions (from their switch into my office).

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
    Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
    buffalo
    New Contributor

Dear all, This is my first post in the forum. I have a very similar scenario like FTGmaster' s case, except my home router is a Mikrotik RouterOS device. In RouterOS, only policy IPSEC is possible so I cannot use interface mode IPSEC. I have successfully established a VPN link between home and hq, and I can ping any device in the hq lan side. However, I cannot ping any devices in site a, b or c in FTGmaster' s diagram. I think it is a routing problem but I am a newbie to VPN and I have spent days trying to make it work. Is there anyway to achieve the same result with policy-based IPSEC? Or do I have to replace my Mikrotik router with another Fortigate? Thank you guys in advance. Any help is appreciated.
    FGT-60C
    FGT-60C
    rwpatterson
    Valued Contributor III

Welcome to the forums. You really shouldn' t hijack another post, but yes these 2 are similar. If you create an IP pool on the FGT and assign it an unused IP address from the LAN, you should be good to go. Same concept as described above by ede_pfau.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
    See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
    Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors