Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
N_Poncelet
New Contributor

VLAN and hardswitch

Hello,

Can you enligth me on this problem, I have a Fortigate 80E and I have also many switch, I need to connect my switch on the fortigate ( with VLAN 192.168.1.X/24 ) for example , and I also have an equipment directly connected to the fortigate from the same vlan (192.168.1.XX/24).

It is possible to make a solution on the fortigate to connect these two equipment ?

I tried to make an hardware switch (IP :0.0.0.0) and a VLAN( ip :192.168.1.X) on the hardware switch but It don't work (vlan work but not the equipment).

I also tryed only an hardware switch (IP 192.168.1.X) but only the equipment work and not the VLAN.

Do you have an idea about this problem and how I can solve it ?

Nathan

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

With FGs, packets on vlans are tagged when they go out from a port. You have to configure vlan on the equipment side if you want to directly hook it up to the FG and want to connect to the vlan interface.

The best way is to use one of your vlan-capable switches as a hub and connect all other switches to it including the FG. So that you can manipulate vlan tagging/non-tagging per port on the hub switch. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

With FGs, packets on vlans are tagged when they go out from a port. You have to configure vlan on the equipment side if you want to directly hook it up to the FG and want to connect to the vlan interface.

The best way is to use one of your vlan-capable switches as a hub and connect all other switches to it including the FG. So that you can manipulate vlan tagging/non-tagging per port on the hub switch. 

N_Poncelet

Ok I will try like this thank you.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors