Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
CodeTron
New Contributor III

VDSL ISP modem connection to FortiGate 90E

Dears,

What is the best way to connect a TP-Link 1600 VDSL ISP router to a FG90E

I want to use the FG for VPN, DHCP and other policies. the ISP router is providing a nated IP 192.168.0.x

I tried connecting a wire from the router to WAN1 port after disabling DHCP on the router and set a static IP on the WAN port, is this the way to go or I should be doing something else? I read posts saying that I should be changing the connection mode to bridge. what is your recommendation 

Thank you in advance  

2 Solutions
abarushka
Staff
Staff

Hello,

In case you may consider to switch TP-Link 1600 VDSL ISP router to bridge mode in order to simplify configuration (i.e. no need to configure port forwarding for VPN).

FortiGate

View solution in original post

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello

What you did should work correctly, but as mentioned by @abarushka bridge mode is better because:

• You will manage NAT at FG level which is much more flexible
  • I think it should be more secure since the public IP is on FG, which is certainly much more secure than a VDSL modem
AEK

View solution in original post

AEK
2 REPLIES 2
abarushka
Staff
Staff

Hello,

In case you may consider to switch TP-Link 1600 VDSL ISP router to bridge mode in order to simplify configuration (i.e. no need to configure port forwarding for VPN).

FortiGate
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello

What you did should work correctly, but as mentioned by @abarushka bridge mode is better because:

• You will manage NAT at FG level which is much more flexible
  • I think it should be more secure since the public IP is on FG, which is certainly much more secure than a VDSL modem
AEK
AEK
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors