Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Penguin
New Contributor

User of crossover cables on FortiGate HA for heartbeat interfaces

I have read several articles in the Fortinet Document Library about connecting heartbeat interfaces between two FortiGate cluster nodes. Most articles describe using a crossover cable between the chosen heartbeat interfaces, but I understand this is debateble as the FortiGates we use (FG71/101/201/601) all support the auto-mdix and can really connect using a straight cable on this without any risk. The FGT administration guide (7.2.4) describe using a crossover cable for this, but does not explain why. Kb article 192732 describes connect the heartbeat interfaces directly using a crossover cable or a regular Ethernet cable. Then you have the FortiGate handbook (6.0.0) describing the option to use both crossover or straight. I have yet not found what is the benefit using one over the other. Does this actually matter anylonger as long as the euipment support auto-mdix and is of the same model? If this does not matter I'd recommend review the Fortinet Document Library and its administration guide so I do not have to mistrust and spend time discuss with our consultant. If there are any risk using a straght cable I'd like to be able to read up on this. If auto-mdix fix it all making it not relevant to verify if it is a straight or crossed cable then this should reflect in all documents of new date describe cabling of heartbeat interfaces. If crossover is not required but in general best-practice then mention this and perhaps why? Anyone on the forum with experience in either way of using crossover vs straight on new FortiGate series and software? Thank you :)

I do not do the same mistake two or three times. I make them five or six times to be sure.
I do not do the same mistake two or three times. I make them five or six times to be sure.
4 REPLIES 4
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

We almost never used x-over cables, not only HA, but also any other connections at least with "C-" series hardware or after. So about last 10 years.

Toshi

Penguin

Fortinet should feel safe to update their user guide then. Thanks :)

Toshi_Esumi

You're right. FTNT's documentation has a lot of catch-up to do in general.

Toshi

dbu
Staff
Staff

Hi @Penguin ,

Based on my past experience if a device supports auto-mdix you should not care about the cable anymore. I have not tested this with Fortigate devices, but it should work same. 

Regards!
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors