Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

Used FortiGate 60D

I normally buy new but I have another IT professional who no longer needs a FortiGate 60D firewall. Could I buy a bundle for it? Are there any other considerations that I may be overlooking? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Kenundrum
Contributor III

I bought one for my house used and i was able to buy renewal licenses for it. The key is to transfer the ownership from their fortinet account to yours. I had to open a ticket and explain the situation. Support reached out to the original owner, confirmed it, and then added the device to my profile.

Also- it helps to do a full format of the flash and reinstall firmware from TFTP to get a better feel that you've removed all the old stuff from prior configs.

CISSP, NSE4

CISSP, NSE4
SecurityPlus

Thank you for the excellent help and suggestions!
ede_pfau

It should be noted that service contracts always start at the end of the previous contract's duration. For example, if the old contract ended in June then your new contract will start in June as well. Effectively, you can use the signatures etc. for only 7 months with a 1year contract.

Good news is, FTNT will not backdate more than 6 months.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
bartman10

So even if you re-activate a unit say out of support for 2 years they will only backdate you 6 months? 

So in this example say you buy 1 year, you'd get 6 months backdated (penalty) then 6 months functional? 

That's actually a really nice deal from them. I've always wondered why some companies totally rake you over the coal.. I personally have so many examples of getting worked over and all it does is leave a bitter taste in my mouth for really no reason. 

I'm trying to re-new support.. IE pay you more money than I'm currently paying you.. 

Reasonable backdates like this only help build customer loyalty and more usage. I don't see the downside. 

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track.

Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing.

FAZ-200D

FAC-VM 2 node cluster

Friends don't let friends FWF!

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track. Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing. FAZ-200D FAC-VM 2 node cluster Friends don't let friends FWF!
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I actually think that varies. For example we bought a FGT100D it contract end  Feb-2015. We registered it   Jan-2016, no issues. We still had to uncouple the previous  users that was tied to the support contact email.

if I can suggest the following;

1: try to always have a bill of sales

2: have the registered fortinet end-user transfer the support contract to you or  add you to the contract

Doing item1-2 will make continual support  from FTNT less frustrating

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors