Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Urgent helps needed!! Unable to login

Hi all, I have forgotten the fortigate admin password and unable to login. Info: fortigate 50A All helps appreciated
14 REPLIES 14
Fireshield
New Contributor

Password recovery must be from the console and can only be done within the first 2 minutes of the unit powering up (not reboot, full power down cycle). Do the following steps: - Power cycle the Fortigate - Connect via console and login with the following credentials: Username: maintainer Password: bcpbFGT-<serial number> - config system admin - set password <New Password Here> - end You should now have a new admin password. Good luck!
FCSE > FCNSP 2.8 > FCNSP 3.0 (Former) FCT
rb400

ORIGINAL: Fireshield Password recovery must be from the console and can only be done within the first 2 minutes of the unit powering up (not reboot, full power down cycle). Do the following steps: - Power cycle the Fortigate - Connect via console and login with the following credentials: Username: maintainer Password: bcpbFGT-<serial number> - config system admin - set password ...
Recently tried on a FGT 400, some points for those in a panic trying this for the first time: 1. Less than two minutes, this seems to include the boot time so be ready when you get the login prompt, enter " maintainer" immediately...no time to play. 2. password is bcpb<serial number> (no <>, on a cold boot the Serial Number is displayed on the console if you are in doubt. for example password = bcpbFGT4002329300399 I saw Serial Number: FGT4002329300399 during cold boot. 3. after " config system admin" , you must " edit admin" before the " set password."

[align=left]*auto-sig*   rb400 << FGT (v6.2.x) [/align]
[align=left]*auto-sig* rb400 << FGT (v6.2.x) [/align]
Paul_Dean
Contributor

Does anyone know if this is still the case? Is there any other way to reset the admin password? Thanks Paul
NSE4
NSE4
AKrause
Contributor

Hi, this recovery method works fine! Had to accomplish it several times, thanks to the FortiManager special-character bug. :)
Not applicable

Is that the issue with using " in the password or is there others?
Paul_Dean
Contributor

Cool, thanks. Bit of a bummer though. Seems odd that they have an " admin users" category in System -> Admin -> Access Profile but you can' t change passwords of other users.
NSE4
NSE4
Not applicable

I have try it on a fortigate 100A it doesn' t work... it seems the password is incorrect Have you got a solution to recover my password ?
Fireshield
New Contributor

Unless something has recently changed, this always works. If it isn' t working for you then you are either not starting from a cold boot (disconnecting power), using the serial number incorrectly (some have dashes and some don' t), or you' re taking too long. The password follows the syntax bcpb<full serial number> and it is case sensitive, with all letters in the serial number being caps.
Not applicable

Unless something has recently changed, this always works. If it isn' t working for you then you are either not starting from a cold boot (disconnecting power), using the serial number incorrectly (some have dashes and some don' t), or you' re taking too long. The password follows the syntax bcpb<full serial number> and it is case sensitive, with all letters in the serial number being caps.
thanks, i have restart my fortigate with disconnecting power, i type several possibility : bcpbFGT-FG100A3806205245 bcpbFGT-3806205245 bcpbFGTFG100A3806205245 bcpb-FG100A3806205245 bcpbFG100A3806205245 When i press enter i have this error message: " the hashed password length is invalid. Login incorrect" I have a french version, i don' t know if it' s important ? (It' s a serial exemple not my serial)
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors