Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Derek_Tom
New Contributor

Upgrading to v4.0 MR3 PR10 build 0639

In the FortiOS v4.0 Patch Release 10 build 0639 Release Notes, it states " ...build 0639 supports upgrade from FortiOS v4.0 MR3 GA or later" . Question is what is " GA" ? Is " GA" the initial MR3 release (prior to Patch 1)? If I am currently running v4.0 MR3 build 0441, can I upgrade directly to build 0639? Another question: is it generally agreed that build 0639 is a " good and stable" firmware release? Many thanks for any feedback!
5 REPLIES 5
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi, a) dead right, " GA" stands for " General Availability" , this is the first official release. b) build 441 is 4.3 GA so you' ve already given the answer yourself c) 4.3.10 a.k.a. build 639 is stable for many but does still have quirks for the FG-100D (here, use 4.3.7 or wait for 4.3.11). In general if you don' t need the fancy new stuff on 4.3 then 4.2.13 is viewed as being rock stable.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Derek_Tom
New Contributor

Hi Ede, Much thanks for your helpful reply. On a 200A, I am currently running 4.3.0 build 441. Which firmware version would you recommend in my case? I was thinking of upgrading to 4.3.10 (build 639). Uptime is 301 days but now I' m getting an " The cmdb add entry failed." error whenever I try to add a new record (e.g. virtual IP or policy). I understand that rebooting should resolve that error (for a while) but was thinking if I' m going to reboot, it might be a good time to also upgrade the firmware. Thanks again for any feedback! Cheers, Derek
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

So your FGT is running out of memory over time. I would upgrade to 4.2.13 as 4.3 again has new features which ' cost' . You' ll notice a lot of improvements in 4.2 over 4.0 anyway. For stability' s sake I' d stay with 4.2 and get to know the new features, new GUI etc.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
billp
Contributor

This is probably obvious and not needed, but I thought I' d add this comment just in case. . . Before any upgrade to new firmware, I would recommend a fresh reboot with your current setup before applying the new firmware. You don' t want to apply a firmware update on a box that has been operating for 300+ days without a reboot -- just my opinion.

Bill ========== Fortigate 600C 5.0.12, 111C 5.0.2 Logstash 1.4.1

Bill ========== Fortigate 600C 5.0.12, 111C 5.0.2 Logstash 1.4.1
Derek_Tom
New Contributor

Hi Ede and Bill, Many thanks for your helpful feedback and advice. On my 200A, I' ve been running v4.0 MR3 GA (build 441) and it' s been solid for about 300 days so I decided to just keep running that and simply rebooted the firewall. All good now. Best wishes and have a super weekend! Cheers, Derek
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors