Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
BusinessUser
Contributor

Upgrading Fortigate HA

when i upgrade fortigate ha firewall, the default is that primary fw gets upgraded.

How do i change it so that by default the secondary gets upgraded instead?

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi

It's automatic. As @parteeksharma said, when you get in the primary FGT via GUI and trigger upgrade, they talk each other then start upgrading the secondary first. You don't have to upgrade those units independently.

Toshi

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parteeksharma

Dear BusinessUser,
When the package is uploaded on fortigate, active node i.e. master firewall will sync the package with passive node and upgrade it first. Once the passive node is upgraded the system will do a cluster failover to upgraded node and upgrade the previous active node. For more details kindly check below link:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.4.0/administration-guide/247944/upgrading-fortigates-...

Regards,
Parteek

BusinessUser

But I read some documentation that the secondary firewall has to be upgraded first?

Toshi_Esumi

It's automatic. As @parteeksharma said, when you get in the primary FGT via GUI and trigger upgrade, they talk each other then start upgrading the secondary first. You don't have to upgrade those units independently.

Toshi

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors