Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Chris_001
New Contributor

Upgrading - FG100 --> FG300

We are in the process of migrating various FG100 boxes to a FG300 in HA VDOM mode. I know we are limited to 9 VDOM' s but we probably wont go above 6. Can anyone see any problems with this? Also if we need to expand to a FG600 series in the future what would be the easiest upgrade path or do we have to reconfigure from scratch? Chris
9 REPLIES 9
romanr
Valued Contributor

Hi, actually the FGT300 should be able to handle that, if before the FGT100 weren' t overloaded! But: the FGT300 (and the FGT100) goes end-of-life and end-of-support by 12/31/2009... I' m not sure if the work of this migration will be worth it? If you want to use Virtual Clustering (HA VDOM Mode?) there are some constraints regarding Inter-VDOM-Links! Some good concept work should be done before! With FGT600 Series you mean a 620B? Thats really MUCH power compared to 6 FGT100s ;)... cheers.roman
Chris_001
New Contributor

Thanks Roman. We currently have the FG300 running 2 VDOM' s so the setup should be sound for adding additional VDOM' s. We are looking to the FG620 as the 300 only supports 10 VDOM' s and we will probably need more than this in the next three years. Once the 300 is End of lif will there still be technical support or is that it? Chris
romanr
Valued Contributor

Hi Chris, there won' t be any support after this date! Even no hardware support! Keep also in mind, that additional VDOMs are licensed seperately and will cost you a bit of money!! Ask your reseller for the costs of additional VDOM licenses. cheers.roman
Chris_001
New Contributor

Sorry Roman I ment we have a FG 300A. As far as I am aware this is not EOL any time soon. You had me worried then! Chris
abelio

Hello, this link could help: http://www.fortinet.com/support/products_eol.html Do not mix LOD (last order date) with EOL (end of life) ( i did it sometimes...) regards,

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
romanr
Valued Contributor

Sorry Roman I ment we have a FG 300A.
Ok... then :)! 300As are still being sold, so they will be supported for at least 2012 or 2013 I think! cheers
p768
New Contributor

If you need more than 10 VDOM' s you will need either a 3000 or 5000 series Fortigate.
Chris_001
New Contributor

Does anyone know if more VDOM' s are going to be avaliable in the lower spec FG' s in the future?
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I' ve asked that to fortinet in the past and the response has always been, that if you need more than 10vdoms, you should be in a bigger box. So I would guess no, due to hardware limitations.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors