Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dataguy
New Contributor

Upgrade from 6.4.6 straight to 6.4.15 ?

I have a FortiGate 61F. Can I upgrade from 6.4.6 directly to 6.4.15? 

Has anyone done this without problems?

I am managing it remotely via VPN so I would like to avoid problems that require me to be there to do any physical resets. 

I have asked support as well, but I'm looking for real life experiences/advice.

Thank you !

2 REPLIES 2
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

According to upgrade path tool you need to follow these steps:

6.4.6 -> 6.4.8 -> 6.4.10 M -> 6.4.12 M -> 6.4.14 M -> 6.4.15 M

https://docs.fortinet.com/upgrade-tool/fortigate

Edit: Real life experience is if you don't follow upgrade path then it is probable that you will have a corrupted configuration after the upgrade.

The path is to avoid errors during configuration conversion from version to version.

AEK
AEK
amrit
Staff
Staff

As mentioned by AEK you need to follow the upgrade path tool.  Additionally 6.4.X is End of support and the 7.0.X is end of engineering support(EOES). So if yo have an active support contract on 61F and the device is in production , I would recommend upgrading either to 7.2.7 or 7.2.8 in 7.2 branch or to 7.4.4 in the 7.4 branch.

We always recommend  console access while performing firmware upgrades activity because if something goes wrong you may lose the access.

Amritpal Singh
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors