Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
andresruiz
New Contributor II

Upgrade fortimail in HA active-passive

Hi,

We need to update Fortimail which is in an Active-Passive HA architecture, but we don't know if we should upload the firmware image to the Primary Device and this Primary Device is automatically updated itself and the Secondary unit likewise similar to FortiGate with this architecture. Or on the contrary, we must update the Secondary Unit manually, set this unit as Primary and update the unit that was previously primary.

Could you please resolve this doubt?

Thank you all.

Best regards.

1 Solution
andresruiz
New Contributor II

Hi,

Ok AEK, thanks for all and best regards.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Andres

Start by the secondary.

Check this guide (this is for 7.6.x).

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimail/7.6.1/administration-guide/725928/upgrading-firmware-on...

AEK
AEK
andresruiz
New Contributor II

Hi,

Do I upgrade the secondary unit first and then force manually failover the primary to become secondary? Or do I upgrade the secondary unit and then the primary directly without performing manual failover?

Another question, is the manual failover forced using the execute ha commands failover-start command on the primary unit?

Thanks for all.

Best Regards.

AEK

Hi Andres

I did a firmware update 2 years before and followed the exact procedure shared above.

In my case I didn't need to perform a manual fail-over but I the operation was scheduled in low traffic hours since there is about 2 or 3 minutes downtime.

But don't worry, no mail will be lost since the SMTP servers and other MTAs keep trying after a failed attempt.

AEK
AEK
andresruiz
New Contributor II

Hi,

Ok AEK, thanks for all and best regards.

andresruiz
New Contributor II

Can anyone who has recently upgraded fortimail in HA Active Passive architecture give me feedback to consider as well, please?

Thanks.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors