Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dbeitler
New Contributor III

Upgrade FG from FortiManager - problems with basic steps

Just getting started with FM, and I' trying to upgrade an AZ Fortigate from 7.4.3 to 7.4.4.

The FG shows that 7.4.4 is an available update, but FM does not.

If I go to the FG in FM, in Device Manager, and select the Upgrade Firmware icon , the dropdown for Available Upgrades shows nothing. "local images (0).

Trying to solve this, I downloaded from the support site, and uploaded."FGT-VM64_AZURE-v7.4.4.F-build2662"  in FortiGuard -> Firmware Images.

hoping that FM would see it.  No change. Even downloaded some of the other Azure images. They all show up there in "Local Images".  But do not show from the specific device in Device Manager.

This is a new installation in Azure, and the FM was installed using the Marketplace.

8 REPLIES 8
Stephen_G

Hello dbeitler,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Have you talked to the TAC team about this issue?

Thanks,

Stephen - Fortinet Community Team
Stephen_G

Hello dbeitler,

We are still looking for someone to help you.

We will come back to you ASAP.

Regards,

dbeitler
New Contributor III

I opened a web chat. Due to my time limitations, I went ahead and created a firmware template and at least was able to use that to do the upgrade from FM.  Still don't understand why I cannot see any updates in Device Manager on a specific FG.  Even when I download them from FM in FortiGuard -> Firmware images.

I presume I'm missing something simple. Just do not see it.

Stephen_G

@ozkanaltas @AEK , is this something either of you would have any advice or ideas about? I appreciate any help you can provide. :)

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi @dbeitler 

Which FM version?

AEK
AEK
vraev
Staff
Staff

Hi @dbeitler ,

I would suggest to open a ticket in the support portal if this is not a trial version.

Best,

V.R.
dbeitler
New Contributor III

FM 7.4.2 build2397,

FG: 7.4.3 build2573
The file downloaded:FGVMAZ_7.4.4.b2662_FORTINET.out
It shows up in Firmware Images under Platform: FortiGate-VM64-AZUREONDEMAND

Perhaps it is my lack of understanding.

In FM, FortiGuard, Firmware Images.  Selecting Models:all, I see the downloaded firmware.  If I select Models:managed, it says "no records". Clicking on "Local images" the downloads show.

It seems to me, that it does not believe what I've download is correct for the FG.

As I mentioned, I created a firmware template that I was able to use to update the FG to 7.4.4

And now, if I go to FortiGuard, Models:Managed, I see the FG.  Wondering if this is an issue with it not having recognized the "marketplace image"  Since all is update there, and this was a sandbox test (90 day licensed version expiring soon).  Don't see anything more I can do with this

Seem to have the same behavior with another FM, that we want to bring into production.

This one is a fully licensed version, running FM 7.2.5, with an attached FG running 7.2.8 (also an Azure version).  It is also up to date(with 7.2.x), so I may just wait for the next release, and if the issue persists, do the same thing.  Firmware template, and then see if it looks better. For now, I'll put this to bed, and come back to it at a later date.

For now, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything in the docs, or just being a bit ignorant..

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi @dbeitler 

If I'm not wrong this is similar to known issue in FMG 7.4.2

993094Firmware image for Azure FortiGate (PAYGO) is not available from (Device Manager > Firmware upgrade).

As per the release note this is fixed in FMG 7.4.3, so try to update and see.

AEK
AEK
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors