Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
LeandroMarcell
New Contributor II

Update Issue 60E

Guys, I need some help.

I set my Firewall 60E to update yesterday and it hasn't come back. Until now, it only has the power LED on, but it doesn't start.

Any tips?

7 REPLIES 7
rahulkaushik-22

@LeandroMarcell 

Take console access of the device.  If the console does not work then hard reboot the firewall to see whether it will come up or not. 

MR RAHUL K KAUSHIK
LeandroMarcell

Thanks for your reply!

The console doesn't work and the status LED doesn't light up, would a Hard Reset still work? I've already held the Reset for some time without success.

jguerra
Staff
Staff

Hello Leandro,

Try connecting to the console connection of the FortiGate. You can follow the instructions in this KB:

Technical Tip: How to connect to the FortiGate console port
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-connect-to-the-FortiGate-console-po...

Once the console connection is active, try rebooting the unit manually and take note of the boot up process.  If there are errors loading the FortiOS image. you can try loading the backup firmware following the steps in the below KB:

Technical Tip: Boot the backup firmware and config via console
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Boot-the-backup-firmware-and-config-via-co...

I hope this helps. 

rahulkaushik-22

@LeandroMarcell 

If the hard reboot does not bring up the device then the device is dead.  If you have support contract then open a ticket with TAC. 

MR RAHUL K KAUSHIK
Cayazo
Staff
Staff

@LeandroMarcell 

It is important to set the configurations in the SSH client properly:
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-connect-to-the-FortiGate-console-po...

Also, once the console cable is connected to the FortiGate,  log the session and reboot it to gather the boot information. It is important to mention that the FortiGate 60E does not have a power button, therefore disconnect the power adapter and reconnect it after 10 seconds. Plugging in the power too soon after unplugging it can cause corruption in the memory in some units.

LeandroMarcell
New Contributor II

When I connect the device to my computer through the console, it is not even recognized in the Windows Device Manager.

It stayed on for more than 12 hours without success and does not start.

LeandroMarcell
New Contributor II

I left the device off for 24 hours and still nothing. Now I can connect to Putty, but it stays on a black screen, I can't type anything. The Status LED still doesn't light up. I couldn't do the Hard Reset either. Even holding the reset there for some time, the procedure didn't signal.

Has anyone seen something similar?

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors