Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MitchK
New Contributor

Unable to unblock a web site

Our Fortigate is running what I would consider a relatively simple policy. We are using only FortiGuard Web Filtering. We are blocking the " malware" category and certain sites are being blocked that we want to allow. We are a financial information provider, and our users need access to a well-known site that provides stock market data. They use an application developed by the supplier, but the information is displayed in a web page embedded in the application window. We want to allow all sub-sites in the domain. I' ve tried the following methods, but none of them works: 1. I entered the domain name in the Override list and checked " allow override" in the Fortiguard category section for " Malware" . I tried editing the override rule to specify " directory" and " domain" with the scope " profile" . I do not want users to have to use authentication to go to the site, I just want to enable it. 2. I created a URL Filter group with the domain name (using action " exempt" and " allow" ). I also enabled " Web URL Filter" in the web filtering section and the Filter Group chosen in the drop-down box. Does anyone have any suggestions? By the way, I have a screen shot of the application window with the blocked URL, but your " click here to upload!" link keeps crashing when I try to upload. Thanks very much.
Mitch Fortigate-300A 4.00 (MR3 Patch5) Fortigate-200B 4.00 (MR3 Patch5) Fortigate-50B 4.00 (MR3 Patch6) FortiAnalyzer 100C (MR3 Patch1)
Mitch Fortigate-300A 4.00 (MR3 Patch5) Fortigate-200B 4.00 (MR3 Patch5) Fortigate-50B 4.00 (MR3 Patch6) FortiAnalyzer 100C (MR3 Patch1)
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable

Go to Web Filter / Local Categories and create a local category e.g. " Whitelisted Websites" Then go to Local Ratings and add the site e.g. malwaresite.com and it to your newly created category. Then go to your Protection Profile and set that category to allow. This will allow you to create exceptions to your category policies. Hope this helps.
MitchK
New Contributor

Thanks Dirk, but it didn' t work. I was able to create the category just as you said. I added the web site on Local Ratings. I went to the protection policy and set the category to " allow" . But no dice, the site is still blocked. By the way, what' s the difference between what you suggest and " Overrides" ? And between those and " URL Filters" ? They all seem to apply to my problem, and yet none of them works as sold.
Not applicable

Overrides as I understand them allow you to present the user with a login screen to enter a password to override the filter. It seems to me that the Local Categories is the main way to do what you are trying. My list of Local Ratings is pretty good and works very well. This is the way to do this, not sure why you are having trouble. What is the website you want to allow?
isptools
New Contributor II

Sometimes a site gets blocked in case the server moved from one IP to another and used IP was from an " BAD HOST" . Look if Content is blocking by domain AND IP and if yes, uncheck the rating per IP. txh Michael
Michael Killermann ISP-TOOLS GmbH Kohlenhofstrasse 60 -D 90443 Nuernberg - Germany Fortinet Certified Network & Security Professional #FCP1001
Michael Killermann ISP-TOOLS GmbH Kohlenhofstrasse 60 -D 90443 Nuernberg - Germany Fortinet Certified Network & Security Professional #FCP1001
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors