Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
r042wal
New Contributor

Unable to factory restore Fortigate 60C

I am trying to do a factory reset of our Fortigate 60C using a console cable and Tera Term Pro terminal server.  In the terminal session everything appears to work properly, initializing, reading boot image, initializing firewall, system is starting, but then the window displays a scrolling window that only says "pelcli stack error 15,1! Please restart newcli."

I have tried pressing the reset button during the boot process but this has no effect.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
sw2090
Honored Contributor

did you do - or were you able to to "exec factory-reset" on cli? 

If you did that and it did not help I'd supose your firmware is somewhat broken for whatever reason.

In this case you would need to format your system partition on cli  via boot menue and then reinstall a suitable firmware on cli via tftp. This is btw the only known way to reset your admin password...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
r042wal
New Contributor

I am not able to get to the CLI.  Everything appears to be working from boot.  I get the messages:

-initializing,

-reading boot image,

-initializing firewall, -

system is starting,

but after this message a window displays the message:

"pelcli stack error 15,1! Please restart newcli"

This message keeps repeating in a continuous scroll.

Thanks

sw2090
Honored Contributor

My Test FGT-60C here boots like this:

"FortiGate-60C (18:52-06.18.2010)

Ver:04000010

Serial Number:<serial>

CPU(00): 525Mhz

Total Ram: 512 MB

NAND init: 128 MB

MAC init... nplite#0

Press any Key to display configuration menue... (waits some seconds for a Key)

reading boot image....

..."

This is the point where you could interfere. You should get the message "PRess any Key to display configuration menue".

When you press a key in time here you get into the config menu which is the menue of the bootloader.

From in there you can format the boot device which will erase firmware and config completely. 

Then you will have to upload a valid firmware image via tfp. 

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
r042wal
New Contributor

I do not have a support contract with Fortinet and only plan to use this appliance for my home office.  Unfortunately, I do not have access to the Fortinet downloads and the dealer that we purchased the appliance from does not want to help.  I appreciate all the assistance.  Thanks.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

A FGT60C is quite old,  unless you can  do a reformat and have a image to upload you might be up a creek with no paddle and no boat ;)

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

I strongly advised against doing something like this unless I had a back up plan, but considering most fgt devices have at least a dual partition - you may be able to boot into the back up partition - be it either an older or newer firmware or an "HQIP" Image.  Though from that point I am not entirely sure what options are open to you.  A corrupted flash disk usually means a quick format/reinstall firmware image.

Regarding access to downloading Fortigate firmware, the only requirements that I am aware of is having a support login account ID with a registered valid/active license to any fortinet product.   

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Agreed, if the format takes places it wipes out  a/b partitions 

ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
r042wal

I have a legitimate account but unfortunately I don't have an active product so I have been held hostage.  I believe the product is discontinued.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

If you don't have an active account than your account is legitimate. BTW a FGT60C is not  discontinue outside of be sold it has support till  2020 and the last builds are in  5.2. 

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors