Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Richard_Steiner
Visitor

Unable to Establish StartTLS Connection

Hello,

I have just installed on-premise exchange server and configured hybrid with office365. However, I noticed that I am not able to establish a StartTLS connection with office365 on port 25 and this causes email from on-premise user to a cloud user to fail. I have allowed all services on the firewall policy just to be sure that I am not blocking it but it still fails. I have attached a screenshot of failed connection test form behind fortigate and successful test from outside of Fortigate.

No StartTLS.JPGSuccessful StartTLS.JPG
I am a self taught administrator on Fortigate FW and appreciate all the support I can get.

Cheers,

~Richard
2 REPLIES 2
vokinko1
Visitor

Have you explored if your certs are using modern ciphers? Maybe the server you are connecting to has disabled accepting an older version you are using which causes your system to step down to plain text.

pminarik
Staff
Staff

Make sure to run the test through a firewall policy without UTM inspection. To rule out interference from that. Otherwise I'd suggest doing a packet capture of both sides, then check if the replies coming in on WAN differ from what the client sees. It's still plaintext, so it should be easy to read.

[ corrections always welcome ]
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors