Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
kiilerich
New Contributor

USB auto-install new firmware and factory-reset

Hi forum

I have a lot of new fortigates, direct from the box, that i need to upgrade(to version 7.0.9) and factory-reset after successful upgrade.

In trying to make a configuration file (fgt_system.conf) that reset the gate back to factory-default after successful upgrade of the new firmware image (image.out).

As of now im stuck in a "catch-22" problem :

The gate upgrades to the new firmware version, reboots, and then tries to load the config from the USB-drive

If the fgt_system.conf file on the USB contains e.g.

execute factoryreset

y

the gate get stuck in a endless reset loop.

All my attempts with auto-install scripts have so far also ended up in loops.

Anyone done this before or have any suggestions?

/Kiilerich
/Kiilerich
1 Solution
FinNet
Staff
Staff

Rather than trying to perform a factory reset within the fgt_system.conf, instead make your fgt_system.conf that of a factory reset fortigate on the target version / platform.

Finn Nech
Fortinet Professional Services

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
FinNet
Staff
Staff

Rather than trying to perform a factory reset within the fgt_system.conf, instead make your fgt_system.conf that of a factory reset fortigate on the target version / platform.

Finn Nech
Fortinet Professional Services
gfleming
Staff
Staff

Great response from FinNet. You could also look at using FortiManager to help manage all of these FortiGates.

Cheers,
Graham
kiilerich

Hi

Sadly the gates arrived with a version so old that it cannot connect to fortimanager. 

Im using fortimanger cloud and minimun version is 6.4.11 and boxes are with 6.2 out of the box.

So far only 2 solution seems to work.

Upgrade with USB and manual factory reset (console cli)

or

Upgrade with USB and a auto-boot of the fgt_system.conf  file containing the "default config" of the new version.

So far im sticking with the manuel process :(   

/Kiilerich
/Kiilerich
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors