Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jlozen
New Contributor

USB Unknown Device

Yesterday everything was fine, I was using fortiexplorer to configure a fortigate 60d and after i was done for the day i ran an "exe shut" on the device to shut it down and i unplugged the power from it leaving the USB cable in place. Today when I plugged the power back in windows tells me the device is unknown and fortiexplorer doesn't see the device anymore.

Has anyone run into this before?

Does anyone know where I can get the USB driver to manually install it on the "unknown device" since windows is convinced it's already updated...I tried searching google for the driver, but was only able to find driver manager/updater programs that want you to buy them to install drivers...

1 Solution
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Haven't say I ran into this before with Fortigate devices, though reading the patch notes for 2.5 it looks like there are some known issues if you are using that version of FortiExplorer. 

But have you tried any of the following troubleshooting steps...

- Switch the USB cable to another USB port on your management computer.

- Test USB connection/FortiExplorer on another computer.

- Remove/reinstall the USB drivers via the the FortiExplorer set up.

- Try a different version of FortiExplorer.

- Try searching for/installing 3rd party USB drivers.

Personally, and it looks like the 60D supports it, I would just use a console cable to connect to the console port on the front, and use Putty.  Or if you have already configured the interface ports on the fgt, just connect to that interface via Ethernet cable (assuming you have enabled admin access on the interface).

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

View solution in original post

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
3 REPLIES 3
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Haven't say I ran into this before with Fortigate devices, though reading the patch notes for 2.5 it looks like there are some known issues if you are using that version of FortiExplorer. 

But have you tried any of the following troubleshooting steps...

- Switch the USB cable to another USB port on your management computer.

- Test USB connection/FortiExplorer on another computer.

- Remove/reinstall the USB drivers via the the FortiExplorer set up.

- Try a different version of FortiExplorer.

- Try searching for/installing 3rd party USB drivers.

Personally, and it looks like the 60D supports it, I would just use a console cable to connect to the console port on the front, and use Putty.  Or if you have already configured the interface ports on the fgt, just connect to that interface via Ethernet cable (assuming you have enabled admin access on the interface).

jlozen

Yeah there is a console port on the front of the 60D units, so putty was an option. I was however walking a remote user through changing a few settings so I needed to see the GUI. I ended up just using one of the lan ports to get to the web interface but moving my network cable over and over is annoying. I'll try to find a compatable 3rd party driver and see if that helps. The first thing I tried was changing USB ports but that didn't help. Thanks for the nice reply!

netmin
Contributor II

The driver files should be available in the installation directory (C:\Program Files\Fortinet\FortiExplorer). Sometimes it also helps to delete an 'unknown' device in device manager, then unplug the USB cable for 2-3 seconds.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors