Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
nbctcp
New Contributor III

USB Console

I am using console server to connect to all my network gears such as Aruba, Cisco, Forti

All Aruba can use micro usb console  and some usb-c

All new Cisco can use mini usb console and some usb-c

Few Forti can use mini usb console

SerialtoUSB converter already $8 (not including console cable)

Good one generic micro usb cable only $2. 4x cheaper

SUGGESTIONS:

1. could you make all new Forti has microusb or usbc console

tq

http://goo.gl/lhQjmUhttp://nbctcp.wordpress.com
1 Solution
sw2090
Honored Contributor

All FGT we  bought in the last years came shipped with a console cable. Also HP DB9 to RJ45 cables work with Fortigates. Just APC and Cisco cables won't because of non standardized pinouts on their side (not Fortinet's fault!).

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

View solution in original post

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
14 REPLIES 14
Emil_N
New Contributor II

Any update on this? We ordered around 30 fortigates, all of which comes with the white Fortinet labeled console cable. Is there an official fortinet driver for this?

scheuri
New Contributor III

Unfortunately no, at least not from my side.

Our Fortinet TAM claims that Microsoft Windows doesn't need any drivers from an external website as everything is supposed to be built in (driver is already in Windows).

I am pretty sure that is not right, however, I couldn't proof it as it turns out that our console cable seems to have a distributors logo on it and not the official fortinet logo. This means I am back to square one when arguing with Fortinet.

However, if you can confirm that plugging one of those "official" cables into windows results into nothing (unless you actively install a driver), you might want to get back to Fortinet with that proof...

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

@OP: if this really is true that a USB-to-serial converter cable with RJ45 is distributed for free with every new FGT, your problem is solved, for even less than $2 per machine!

I had been looking out for this kind of 'all-included' console cable in the past, but these are available nowadays and prove to be reliable. Boll engineering from Switzerland used to offer one a couple of years ago. I use the StarTech ‎ICUSBROLLOVR which in turn requires a Prolific driver, and that is already included with Win10.

My advice regarding the 'no official drivers' situation: get one or two drivers for a noname converter and, if it works, you've got your source. As mentioned, there are just a few different chips out there, so you should be able to find one quickly.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Markus_M
Staff
Staff

Hello,

I am not sure what driver is needed. I don't recall installing any special driver on either Linux or Windows since years - not sure about Windows 7, as I was using only Windows 10.

The choice of cable might be tricky, but more due to the wiring.

The picture from this thread from Pizzaking of the specific cable should do it as well as the ones shipped before that.

You need to

a)

specify the right settings in a program that can do serial console connections. PuTTY on Windows, screen or minicom on Linux.

b) when you connect and see nothing happening, press the return/Enter key to produce some output that has to come up, usually the login prompt should come up. If that is not the case, the cable is wrong or your PuTTY settings are.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.2.0/cookbook/901037/connecting-to-the-cli

Bits per second

Data bits

Parity

None

Stop bits

Flow control

None

On a FortiSwitch you might have to switch the bautdare 115K to get something, but the rest of settings stay same.

Note: console is slow and better use for emergency, accessing the boot menu for example.

If you can avoid the console, use SSH instead.

Best regards,

Markus

Emil_N
New Contributor II

Yes I know how to use a console cable and still have my trusty tripplite USB to serial converted. However its slightly bulkier than the Fortinet USB to serial cable. I am also using this in windows 10 and device manager does not recognize the cable and it does not get assigned a com port.

I did try the third party drivers on a test laptop, also windows 10 and it worked only after installing the drivers. Hence why I'm baffled that Fortinet doesn't have these drivers available. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors