Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Umesh
Contributor

URL filtering License

Hi Everyone,

Can we block any of the websites without Fortigate Firewall license (Web filter license).

Thank you,

Umesh

6 REPLIES 6
sw2090
Honored Contributor

if you enable webfilter/urlfilter without valid license it will block everything. I don't think that's what you want.

You could thus use some FQDN objects to block domains by policies without utm services.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

You can use static URL filter - https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Using-a-static-URL-filter-feature-to-allow...

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

frankz

@srajeswaran @rosatechnocrat @pavankr5 @parteeksharma Hey Guys

I am playing around with my 60D which doesn't have a license. I tried following the article, but I am not sure if I am doing something wrong here. Can anyone help me here ?

FortiGate.png

rosatechnocrat
Contributor II

No, Without license it will not work. 

Basically Web filter has a dependency on Fortinet Fortiguard network. Fortigate Firewalls identifies the category of website by using the online Fortiguard database. If there is no license then Fortiguard will not allow fortigate to receive the category of the website.

So as Fortigaurd will not allow to retrieve the category , you can use the static filter which works without license. 

Applying based on category will have impact on traffic. 

Please accept the solution if you think my answer worked for you. 

Rosa Technocrat -- Also on YouTube---Please do Subscribe
Rosa Technocrat -- Also on YouTube---Please do Subscribe
pavankr5
Staff
Staff

Hello @Umesh 

Please check this article on  Use static URL filtering without FortiGuard Web Filter license for reference
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Use-static-URL-filtering-without-FortiGuar...

Thanks,

Pavan

parteeksharma

Hi Umesh,

For webfiltering to work properly, it needs license. Web filter is dependent on Fortiguard server reachability and gets the rating from Fortiguard server database. If there is no license then fortigate will not get the category of the website and it will not work. In this scenario, you can use the static filtering.

Regards,
Parteek

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors