Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
itemanuel
New Contributor

Two dialup VPN tunnels to use the same interfaces

Hi We are running a FortiGate 60E using a single WAN-Connection (set of public IPs) and a straight C-Class private LAN. We have some services in our LAN that my colleagues and me are using every day. Basically everything works just nicely. I have set up a dialup VPN Tunnel (IPsec) to provide access from remote networks. This VPN Tunnel is set to have "Enable IPv4 Split Tunnel" checked as normally we would like have internet traffic not to take the VPN route, but to go there directly. This tunnel works great and we are happy with bandwith and performance. Now in addition to that, we need to have a VPN-Tunnel with "IPv4 Split Tunnel" disabled. In some cases we need to have all traffic go through that tunnel and for internet traffic we'd like to have a different public IP address being used than the one generally defined for WAN1. So appart from the "Split Tunnel" feature and a different Client Address Range, there should not be a difference. But the thing is, this second dialup VPN tunnel doesn't work. In [link]https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=174231[/link] ede_pfau recommends using VDOMs for this kind of setup. But this seems way too complicated to me. Especially as there is no need the securely separate the traffic between the two or to have two different LANs to be reached by the VPN Tunnels. So the typical use case for VDOMs is not given. Does anybody know how to tackle this in the sense of "best practice"? Any help and support is appreciated. itemanuel    

1 Solution
OrtegaPedro
New Contributor

Hi

To use more than 1 IPSec Tunnel in the same interface you must specify unique Peer ID in each VPN tunnel (Authentication section) and the same in Local ID (Phase1 Section).

In Forticlient VPN set the Local ID under Advanced Settings > Phase1

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
itemanuel

That's what I did too. I've got two unique peer id for each tunnel setting.

If I put the same preshared key of tunnel 1 in tunnel 2, the connection works. But then tunnel 1 is used, however the peer id of tunnel 2 shows up in the IPsec Monitor.

So I'm still stuck with that. Sorry Toshi. Wanted to post that right after sw_2090's message. But was stopped some other stuff.

OrtegaPedro
New Contributor

Hi

To use more than 1 IPSec Tunnel in the same interface you must specify unique Peer ID in each VPN tunnel (Authentication section) and the same in Local ID (Phase1 Section).

In Forticlient VPN set the Local ID under Advanced Settings > Phase1

itemanuel

That's it, Pedro. You are absolutely right! Now both tunnels are accessible.

The only thing is, that for some reason we can't reach anything, neither in our LAN nor in the Internet. The IPv4 Policy is still the one that was created by the wizard and I don't see what could or should be different than the one for the split tunnel. But thanks anyway!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors