Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AndrÃ_K
New Contributor II

Tunnel client won' t work on Ubuntu when using SSL-VPN

Logged into SSL-VPN Using latest Forticlient for Linux. if forticlientvpn us executed as user, it connects fine, but no traffic can be seen. nor is there any new route on the system. if it' s executed as root, all traffic is put thru it: Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.150 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 ppp0 (LAN behind FG SSL-VPN) 0.0.0.0 10.11.12.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth2 (LAN on the place I am at.) traffic counters move, but still, the browser, does not recognize it, and it' s not possible to connect directly to any service on the other site. Ubuntu 12.10
4 REPLIES 4
SteveRoadWarrior
New Contributor III

I' ve had similar problems in the past. Here' s what I did to resolve it: - download the correct client for the version of firmware running on the destination firewall (and yes, the Linux client seems to be more picky than the Windows client) If that doesn' t help, then - download each client from the FTP site (forticlientsslvpn_linux_4.0.2143.tar, etc) - unpack and install and test, if it doesn' t work then delete the folder and repeat with the next version - eventually you will probably find a client which will work properly (I had a devil of a time during the firmware 4 MR3 patches 6-10 (patch 11 worked well) getting the client to work but eventually found a working combination On a side note, my new client won' t connect at all (version 5 on the FG60C destination) but that' s probably another matter. I' m getting by with the RDP Java based part of the web portal. Hope this helps.
AndrÃ_K
New Contributor II

That' s a rather tragic confirmation of a unholy code mess.. on top of that, latest supportet Ubuntu , according to Fortinet is about 8.04. This reminds me why I stopped paying for support - do you hear me Fortinet ? this is not good enough.
SteveRoadWarrior
New Contributor III

I appreciate your frustration, but I must disagree. For a Linux program the SSL VPN client is well thought out and easy to install. When it is installed properly, the client can be run as a non-root user after the install. All traffic will be tunneled through (even browsing) the VPN once it is running, this is to be expected. If you' re only looking to connect to a specific asset on your LAN, may I suggest using the port forward (Java) entry. Create a bookmark for yourself so that you don' t have to type it every time. Then execute the bookmark and you' ll have to check a box. After that attach to 127.0.0.1:(whatever port you chose) and you' ll connect to the LAN asset. For example: SSL Port Forward server: 192.168.0.10 port: 3389 you click the bookmark and check the box then you connect your RDP to 127.0.0.1 (port 3389) you' ll be connected to 192.168.0.1 port 3389 It' s simple and much safer than a full tunnel. And your browsing isn' t sent through the VPN.
AndrÃ_K
New Contributor II

Found out that installing the L2TP IPSec manager works way better than fortinet' s solution. Also, split-tunnelling, makes it better too..
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors