Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
isasic
New Contributor II

Transparent mode - BPDU

Hello everyone, 

I have a question: in case of active/standby HA cluster of two Fortigates in transparent mode (280D), is there possibility for unit in passive mode to process BPDU packets? 

Thank you very much for your help! 

Ivan 

6 REPLIES 6
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

The questions would be why would you want that?

Do you have "set stpforward enable" enabled  on the interface pairs? 

if yes, than you should be okay but you should double check  on both units  by using "diag netlink brctl" list commands 

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
isasic
New Contributor II

Thank you emnoc!

I have topology that looks like this. Two ASAs and two FortiGates, both in active/standby failover. FortiGates must stand between three L2 switches in triangle. The point is, we should cover every possible failure scenario, from links between devices to devices itself. This is Internet segment, and internal traffic is going outside toward SW1. You also have Internet router that is sitting in front of SW1, which is ASA's upstream next hop. 

If standby FortiGate is forwarding BPDU packets (when I configure it with 'set stp-forward enable') I guess this would work well. But I don't know about STP behavior when there's more than two STP speaking devices on same LAN segment. 

isasic
New Contributor II

Sorry, guess I didn't attach image. And my experienced colleague just explained to me that I could achieve all of this without cross links between FortiGates and switches and without BPDU packet forwarding at all. Fact is that passive unit doesn't process any traffic at all at any given moment. Thanks anyway! 

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

So are you  running  tagged intefaces on the 3 links between the FGT and what/why the cross the links betweem FGTs and sw2/sw3?

If you could add port#s and the interface for the opmode transparent ( tags and forrwarddomain if applicable ) that might give us a better ideal of the  topology from the cisco ASA to sw1. I don't think the  cross-links between each FGT to the  opposite switches are need from the picture

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
isasic
New Contributor II

Sorry, didn't explain well. Link between FortiGates and also link between ASAs are just failover links, not links for regular traffic. Also all switches are just L2 switches. And there's only one VLAN that should be forwarded from ASA to upstream (that is VLAN between ASA and Internet router). I guess by default all interfaces on transparent FortiGate are in same forwarding domain, right? 

This is just a plan, and implementation should happen in near future. 

russ_laplante

Hi isasic,

We are trying to send untagged (VLAN) packets through a similar setup - transparent, directly connected router on one side, switches on the other. We can ping through our transparent VDOM but web browsing is getting hung-up, and I am unable to find any logs describing why.

Are you having success with your setup?

Thanks, Russ

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors