Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
BusinessUser
Contributor

Transferring Of Config From One Firewall Model to Another

I understand that the steps are to download the config file

Change the firmware , build, version, interfaces of the config file

Upload the edited config file into new firewall.

Any other steps I need to take to ensure that the configuration port over is ok?

1 Solution
sw2090
Honored Contributor

basically you have to have the same firmware version on both.

As mentioned if the FGT are compatible (i.e. they have at least the same physical interfaces. If it has more interfaces that doesn't hurt. What is not in the config will not be touched) you could restore a config of the old FGT on the new FGT after you  replaced the first 4 lines with the lines from a backup from the new one (since the model is in there).

I successcully did that with config from a 100D to 100E or 100E to 100F that way.

Otherwise either use Forticonverter or you have to do it manualle by copy pasting to cli.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

View solution in original post

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
5 REPLIES 5
jhussain_FTNT

Hi,

Kindly refer the below document on how to convert Fortigate configuration file.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-load-convert-a-FortiGate-configurat...

Regards

Jamal

Christian_89
Contributor III

Hello 

If it is the same fortigate with the same interface number then you can do as you wrote.

But if you want to change from a 80E to a 200F then use the Forticonverter.

BusinessUser

I understand that there is a manual method.

For the "manual method", will having multiple VDOM affect the copying of configuration?

Christian_89

As far as I know, it has no effect on the VDOM.
I would first just test if it works cleanly before.

sw2090
Honored Contributor

basically you have to have the same firmware version on both.

As mentioned if the FGT are compatible (i.e. they have at least the same physical interfaces. If it has more interfaces that doesn't hurt. What is not in the config will not be touched) you could restore a config of the old FGT on the new FGT after you  replaced the first 4 lines with the lines from a backup from the new one (since the model is in there).

I successcully did that with config from a 100D to 100E or 100E to 100F that way.

Otherwise either use Forticonverter or you have to do it manualle by copy pasting to cli.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors