Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rajamanickam
Contributor

Traffic shaper vs Shaping profile

Hi, 

What is the difference between Traffic shaper/Shaping profile. I have few critical applications and want to reserve some bandwidth for this traffic to DC over the SDWAN fabric. The difference I could see is , in Traffic shaper - I have three priorities (High, Medium, Low) and I have option to code the Guaranteed and Maximum bandwidth values. In Shaping profile - I have to create Class ID with the percentage of traffic to be reserved, with four priorities (Top, high, Medium, Low). So help in understand the differences between two of these. What should be used?, why we have 3 priority level in traffic shaper and 4 priority groups in shaping profile..

Regards

Raja

8 REPLIES 8
Sachin_Alex_Cherian_

Hi,

From a configuration point of view, the main difference is that the traffic-shaper gets called in a traffic shaping policy whereas the shaper profile needs to be called under the interface setting. So it depends on how you want to implement it actually. If you need to control the traffic using policy go with a traffic-shaper, if you want to apply it to the interface setting go with the profile.

Regards,
Sachin.
rajamanickam

Hi Sachin,

Thanks for your reply.. Currently I have created different shaping groups under shaping profile but no where I am matching traffic. I am just reserving some bandwidth.. So if I apply shaping profile for the interface, which traffic will get matched to it?.. In traffic shaping policy, I am calling the class ID created..  So what effect this willl cause?. This is slightly confusion. What should be followed , If I want to do traffic priority, bandwidth reservation for voice, video, critical apps.

sharmaj
Staff
Staff

Traffic shaping profile: It dedicates to interface-based traffic shaping, for example, you need to limit traffic passing through one particular bandwidth, then it can be used.

Traffic shaper: You have per IP shaper -> where With per-IP traffic shaping, you can limit each IP address's behavior to avoid a situation where one user uses all of the available bandwidth

Shared traffic shaper is used in a firewall shaping policy to indicate the priority and guaranteed maximum bandwidth for a specified type of traffic use.

Jay sharma
rajamanickam

Hi Jay Sharma,

Thanks for your reply.. For traffic shaping profile, I am applying to the overlay tunnel interface which I have created as part of SDWAN config.. So whether I need to update bandwidth under each of these overlay (IPSEC tunnel) interface or whether updating under physical WAN ports are fine?..

Regards

Raja

sharmaj

Hi Raja,

That is fine with either of them, applying traffic shaping on interface of Ipsec tunnel will do fine here.

Jay sharma
rajamanickam

Hi, I am not having option in Fortimanager to update 

"Outbound bandwidth" . I am seeing this option in Fortigate but couldnt able to find this option to do from Fortimanager. I hope this outbound bandiwdth is different from what we enter in estimated bandwidth.

Regards

Raja

sharmaj

Hi Raja,

I believe this has to be done from the FortiGate side itself.

Jay sharma
wmkehn

This must be done under Device Manager -> Cli Configurations of the device:

wmkehn_0-1666798897770.png

-Bill

CCIE #48228

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors