Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
user_14
New Contributor

Traffic Shaping

Hello, 

I have a problem with traffic shaping. I have a simple traffic shaping policy to limit the bandwidth when browsing some streaming websites and it's been working perfectly for a while. However, all those websites can't be accessed anymore, no changes were made in the policy. When I check the logs, it shows that those requests are UTM Allowed but the most of the times the received data is 0 kb and a "TCP reset from client" message. When I disable the traffic shaping policy everything goes back to normal. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or there's a flaw within my firewall (FortiGate 400F, V7.0.12).

Any ideas or hints ? 

Thank you in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
user_14

Hi @BillH_FTNT

I enabled the traffic shaping policy and run the commands show and then get

Nothing seems off except for these two lines at the end of the get command output : 

traffic-shaper :
traffic-shaper-reverse:

Normally they should show the shaper used in the policy, don't they ? 

I'm not sure if this is some bug but traffic shaping was working until it stopped without any direct configuration in the policy.

Thank you, 

user_14

One more info I found in the traffic shaping policy is: 

tos-mask : 0x00

what does it refer to exactly? could it be the reason ?

Thank you, 

BillH_FTNT

hi @user_14 . I just sent you a private message. For tos-mask, "tos"is a type of service on IP packet header. This one is set when you have some defined the flows for traffic following DSCP/ToS to have different priorities on QoS. If it is a 0x00 value, it is the default value only.

Kangming
Staff
Staff

Please try "set tcp-mss-sender 1400" and "set tcp-mss-receiver 1400".

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Setting-TCP-MSS-value/ta-p/194518

Thanks

Kangming

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors