Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Mathiyarasan85
New Contributor II

To restore configuration to the FortiGate by using the scp downloaded file "sys_config"

Hi All,

I have taken then backup FG configuration by using the scp client 

command which i used to take the backup as below.

Sftp server -- > scp admin@<FortiGate_IP>:sys_config <location>

Question 1 : sys_config  ( is it full configuration file as like what we are taking the normal backup config from GUI -- > admin --> configuration -- > backup -- > downloaded with xxxxxx.conf

Question 2 : Can we use the "sys_config"  scp client backup file to restore the firewall configuration in the Manual GUI method  admin --- > configuration -- > restore -- > upload -- > "sys_config"

Does it work or any problem with this restore proceedure ?

Mathi
Mathi
1 Solution
dbhavsar
Staff
Staff

Hi @Mathiyarasan85 ,

- The answer would be yes to both the configuration. The backup config will be same as the GUI and you can use the same to restore the config on Firewall GUI.

DNB

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dbhavsar
Staff
Staff

Hi @Mathiyarasan85 ,

- The answer would be yes to both the configuration. The backup config will be same as the GUI and you can use the same to restore the config on Firewall GUI.

DNB
Mathiyarasan85

Hi @dbhavsar ,

Manual GUI backup downloaded with the file extention xxxxx.conf 

But scp backup downloaded with "sys_ config"

So when we do upload the "sys_config" backup file by  the manual method via GUI

Do we have to rename it with sys_config.conf 

Or Can we upload it as same as sys_config upload in the GUI

Does it work when we upload the backup file as sys_config ? With out .conf extension ?

Mathi
Mathi
dbhavsar

Hi @Mathiyarasan85 ,

- you will need the file with ".conf" to restore it on FortiGate. Can you make sure by enabling  view "file name extension" in you windows.

DNB
Mathiyarasan85

Hi DNB,

Backup :

I have taken the backup by using the below command.

scp admin@<FortiGate_IP>:sys_config <local_destination>

i would like to know what will be the file type when we use the scp command to taken the backup from linux server.

Restore : 

I would like to restore the file which i used to download by using the scp command backup.

I moved the backup file from my sftp linux server to my windows local desktop.

Then I logged into the firewall in GUI ( for example https: 192.168.1.92 )

I need to resotre the file via admin --- > Configuration -- > Restore -- > Upload.

Question : Please provide the straight forward answer. file copied from scp username@IP address sys_config <location >

But i need to restore by using the manual method in GUI.

Please let me know what are all the challanges and what should i need to do to make it work as like normal backup and restore in GUI.

Mathi
Mathi
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors