Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Dex
New Contributor

Time interval for SNMP ifInOctets and ifOutOctets

Hi all, I am collecting every 2 min from my Fortigate the values from SNMP ifInOctets (1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10) and ifOutOctets (1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16). In the RFC1213-MIB it describes the values as octets received and sent on the interface, but not under which time interval. Under what time interval is the amount of octets counted? I am trying to get the in and out network usage on that interface (Mbit/s). Is there an OID I can use on the Fortigate to collect statistics on the different services used in the firewall (TCP, UDP …)?
6 REPLIES 6
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi and welcome,
I am collecting every 2 min from my Fortigate the values from SNMP ifInOctets (1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10) and ifOutOctets (1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16). In the RFC1213-MIB it describes the values as octets received and sent on the interface, but not under which time interval. Under what time interval is the amount of octets counted? I am trying to get the in and out network usage on that interface (Mbit/s).
i' m not sure if i understand your post; but when you get some value and normalize it with the time unit, you define the sample rate meaningful for you. for netowrk interfaces, tipically 5 min, hour, day, week, month, year are useful values.
Is there an OID I can use on the Fortigate to collect statistics on the different services used in the firewall (TCP, UDP …)?
yes; with each fortiOS firmware release, in the same directory you can get the Fortinet.MIB file with all available OID. Look into FTP support.fortinet.com site. regards,

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Dex
New Contributor

Tanks for answering! Maybe I am thinking wrong. What I mean is, if I collect the value of ifInOctets and get 1 000 000. Does it mean the Fortigate has received 1 000 000 octets the last second or has it received 1 000 000 octets since my last retrieval of that value? If I don´t know if the value I am collecting is in seconds, minutes, days etc I have trouble determining the bandwidth used on that interface. Regards, Dex
abelio

What I mean is, if I collect the value of ifInOctets and get 1 000 000. Does it mean the Fortigate has received 1 000 000 octets the last second or has it received 1 000 000 octets since my last retrieval of that value? If I don´t know if the value I am collecting is in seconds, minutes, days etc I have trouble determining the bandwidth used on that interface.
You' re collecting 1000000 octets merely; only when you decide the time unit to average your octet number, you can talk about bandwith usage in the unit of time. You could use this article http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=10826&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KCARTICLE_1_1&dialogID=1991003&stateId=0 as an usable example.

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Dex
New Contributor

Thanks your answer helped me solve my problems! But I have one more question maybe you can help me with. Could you perhaps clearify Fortigates SNMP " fnHaStatsNetUsage" ? What exactly is included...? Regards Dex
abelio

from FORTIGATE-MIB.mib
 fgHaStatsNetUsage OBJECT-TYPE
     SYNTAX      Gauge32
     MAX-ACCESS  read-only
     STATUS      current
     DESCRIPTION 
         " Network bandwidth usage of specified cluster member (kbps)"  
     ::= { fgHaStatsEntry 5 }

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Dex
New Contributor

Thanks Abel! The values of “ifInOctets” and “ifOutOctets” that I am collecting every 120 seconds seem a little bit low or maybe I am counting wrong. One of the values for “ifOutOctets” on the WAN port that I collected is 77 000 000 octets (the difference between the first and second value. I want to convert it to Mbit/s to easier compare with the capacity of the Internet connection we have. This is how I converted it. 77 000 000 octet x 8 = 616 000 000 bit 616 000 000 bit / 1000 = 616 000 kbit 616 000 kbit / 1000 = 616 Mbit 616 Mbit / 120s = 5,13 Mbit/s If this is correct and the value is taken from the WAN port should then all the outbound traffic be included? I was expecting a number 5-6 times higher. Regards Dex
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors