Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
duahimanshu
New Contributor II

This platform has old CPU's that are not compatible with current DPDK software ERROR!

Hello,

I am using FGVM2 with KVM virtualization on a Debian 10 host.

I've encountered some performance issues therefore  trying to configure DPDK. When I attempt to enable it via the FG VM CLI, I receive the following error message:

"This platform has old CPUs that are not compatible with current DPDK software. object set operator error, -39 discard the setting Command fail. Return code -39"

My current FortiGate version is 7.2.3. It's worth noting that this same configuration used to work in older versions of FortiGate (6.x). Do you have any suggestions or ideas on how to resolve this issue?

6 REPLIES 6
HarshChavda
Staff
Staff

Hello @duahimanshu ,

Can you verify that your CPU supports the instruction sets required by DPDK. You can usually find this information in the CPU's technical documentation. Ensure that CPU virtualization extensions like VT-x (for Intel) or AMD-V (for AMD) are enabled in the BIOS settings. 

duahimanshu

VT-X is enable, how can i verify if my cpu is this ? Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor E3940 @ 1.60GHz

HarshChavda

Hello @duahimanshu ,

Right-click on the Taskbar and select "Task Manager." Go to the "Performance" tab. Under "CPU," you should see the name and details of your processor.

HarshChavda

Hello @duahimanshu ,

You can also search by this, Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog box. Type msinfo32 and press Enter. In the System Information window, look for "Processor" under the "System Summary" section.

duahimanshu
New Contributor II

Hello Harsh, 

I appreciate your quick response.  just to let you know i have Debian installed machine. I have sent you private message the details of my Hardware let me know if that is something you are looking for.  

bcsk
New Contributor

It seems like the error message you're encountering is related to incompatibility between your CPU and the DPDK software in FortiGate 7.2.3. Since this configuration used to work in older FortiGate versions (6.x), you can try the following steps to resolve the issue:

1. Check CPU Compatibility: Verify that your host's CPU is indeed compatible with the DPDK software requirements for FortiGate 7.2.3. DPDK might have updated its CPU requirements in the newer version, which could explain the error.

2. Update Firmware/BIOS: Ensure that your host's firmware or BIOS is up to date. Sometimes, updating these components can resolve compatibility issues.

3. Check for DPDK Updates: Check if there are any updates or patches available for DPDK that might address this compatibility issue. It's possible that Fortinet has released updates to improve CPU compatibility.

4. Downgrade to FortiGate 6.x: If compatibility remains an issue, you might consider downgrading to FortiGate version 6.x, which is known to work with your CPU. However, keep in mind that this might not be a long-term solution as older versions might not receive security updates and feature enhancements.

5. Consult Fortinet Support: Reach out to Fortinet's technical support for assistance. They may have specific recommendations or solutions for your hardware and software combination.

Mickeyminors  Remember to backup your configuration before making any significant changes to your FortiGate setup.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors