Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Third SMTP server

Hello

In FortiMail, we can configure for each domain only 2 SMTP servers (primary & failback).

I need to configure a third one (another failback server) but I couldn't find a way to do from GUI or CLI.

Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise why this limitation?

AEK
AEK
1 Solution
ndumaj
Staff
Staff

Hello AEK,

The best way to achieve this, would be to use an 'IP group' in the domain 'relay type' settings:

- From FML GUI, navigate to: Profile > Group > IP Group
- Create a new 'IP Group' and name it
- Click 'New' and add below the SMTP server IPs with their netmask
- When ready, click 'Create'

- Then navigate to: Domain & User > Domain > Domain > Edit the domain for which you want to use a third SMTP Server IP
- In the pop-up window, change relay type to 'IP Group'
- In the 'IP Group' settings, expand the drop-down menu and select the IP group you create previously
- Click 'OK'

The connection will be rotating among one or many protected SMTP servers for load balancing.

BR

- Happy to help, hit like and accept the solution -

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello AEK

Thank you for using the Community Forum and your contributions :)!. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
ndumaj
Staff
Staff

Hello AEK,

The best way to achieve this, would be to use an 'IP group' in the domain 'relay type' settings:

- From FML GUI, navigate to: Profile > Group > IP Group
- Create a new 'IP Group' and name it
- Click 'New' and add below the SMTP server IPs with their netmask
- When ready, click 'Create'

- Then navigate to: Domain & User > Domain > Domain > Edit the domain for which you want to use a third SMTP Server IP
- In the pop-up window, change relay type to 'IP Group'
- In the 'IP Group' settings, expand the drop-down menu and select the IP group you create previously
- Click 'OK'

The connection will be rotating among one or many protected SMTP servers for load balancing.

BR

AEK

Hello

Thanks for your useful feedback. Actually I didn't notice this feature till now.

As you said this will load balance the traffic across the three servers, however my real need is to use the second and third mail servers as failback servers.

So I'll try manage to achieve my requirement with these available features.

AEK
AEK
ndumaj
Staff
Staff

Hello AEK,
Happy to help you some how.
I guess only one fallback SMTP server can be configured.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimail/7.0.5/cli-reference/10685/domain#config_3733402351_1734...
fallback-host {<smtp-server_fqdn> | <smtp-server_ipv4>}
(transparent mode and gateway mode only)
Enter the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) or IP address of the secondary SMTP server for this protected domain.
This SMTP server will be used if the primary SMTP server is unreachable.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimail/7.0.5/administration-guide/40774/configuring-protected-...
Fallback SMTP server (transparent and gateway mode only)
Enter the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) or IP address of the secondary SMTP server for this protected domain, then also configure Port and Use SMTPS.
This SMTP server will be used if the primary SMTP server is unreachable.
This field appears only if Relay type is Host.
Hope this help you as well!

BR
Nervil

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors