Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Suspend upgrade steps at FMG

Last night one of FWF60Es' upgrade process for 6.0.10->6.2.7->6.2.9 caused the device to be offline in the first step (judged based on saved config revisions). Likely the first reboot got stuck and can't come up with 6.2.7 since the public IP on wan1 interface is not reachable.

We're hoping it would come back up after a power-cycled in Mon morning by the customer, but we don't want to get the upgrade process resumed for obvious reason. The customer would experience extended outage in busy Mon morning.

I'm looking for a way to suspend the upgrade process at the point with 6.2.7. Then want to resume it at Mon night. I so far couldn't find a menu to do it in Firmware page on the FMG. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Toshi

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

So, since I got an automated email asking if I got a solution, I'm answering to my question myself and make this as a solution.
When I saw the upgrade status: Failed at both Firmware upgrade page and Task Monitor page, it'd apparently already given up the upgrade and would not try it again.

That was my misunderstanding how firmware upgrade would work when it didn't go well or, in this case, lost the device. I thought it would resume the unfinished upgrade process when the connection came back up. Therefore, no need to suspend the process, or any process to suspend doesn't exist any more.

Toshi

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Debbie_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hey Toshi,

I'm not entirely sure if it's possible, but it should be via the Task Monitor:
- the upgrade button should have resulted in a task in FortiManager

- you might be able to interrupt or delete the task

- the pane can be accessed via System Settings > Task Monitor or, if a Task is running, by clicking the icon in the upper right corner.

- or, though a rather ugly workaround, change the managed IP in FortiManager Device Manager (so it thinks the FortiGate is now on a different IP than it actually is); essentially make the FortiGate unreachable on FortiManager until such time as you can try the upgrade again.

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks Debbie. Looks like it's already timed out and doesn't seem to try continuing after it came up online. I deleted the failed task but the status for this device at Firmware screen is still showing "Failed: 6.2.9" and the timestamp when failed.

I guess it won't clear the status until we try upgrading it to 6.2.9 again. It's currently up and running with 6.2.7.

Toshi

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

So, since I got an automated email asking if I got a solution, I'm answering to my question myself and make this as a solution.
When I saw the upgrade status: Failed at both Firmware upgrade page and Task Monitor page, it'd apparently already given up the upgrade and would not try it again.

That was my misunderstanding how firmware upgrade would work when it didn't go well or, in this case, lost the device. I thought it would resume the unfinished upgrade process when the connection came back up. Therefore, no need to suspend the process, or any process to suspend doesn't exist any more.

Toshi

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors