Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
gvargasdc
New Contributor

Support for YouTube for Schools Program

So YouTube has launched YouTube for Schools which basically restrict YouTube functionality to just show educational videos when youtube.com is accessed from a school network (basically redirecting to youtube.com/education whenever someone access youtube.com from a registered school). This program is meant basically for K12 institutions. This article explains the purpose of this YouTube' s program: http://mindshift.kqed.org/2011/12/youtube-offers-schools-safe-education-portal-beefs-up-k-12-content/ It sounds like a good alternative since individual youtube videos cannot be unblocked with FortiGate. This currently force us to close all youtube videos to our students, including any valuable educational videos out there. In order to make YouTube for Schools work, the school proxy/firewall/webfilter should add a custom HTTP header to request going to youtube.com or rewrite the URL to add a parameter as explained here: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1686318 This allows YouTube to identify the request and redirect it to the educational version of the site. Can Fortigate web filter or web proxy settings support this directly? Or is it not possible at all with Fortigate? I' m running FortiOS 4.0 MR2 on a 310B. I couldn' t find anything in the documentation that allows header modifications.
13 REPLIES 13
HartleyTaylor

I think that I need to improve my educational skills

RonaldBaker
New Contributor

The support for the YouTube for Schools program is crucial for educational institutions. This program provides a controlled and safe environment for students to access educational content on YouTube. It allows schools to create curated playlists, restrict non-educational content, and enhance learning experiences through video resources. By supporting this program, educational institutions can ensure a productive and secure platform for students to engage with educational videos while maintaining a focus on academic content.

RonaldBaker
New Contributor

The Support for YouTube for Schools Program is a commendable initiative that promotes educational content for students. It provides a safe and enriching platform for learning. If you're looking to enhance your research paper's conclusion, visit https://www.aresearchguide.com/write-conclusion-research-paper.html. This resource offers valuable guidance and techniques to create a compelling and impactful closing for your academic work. Embrace the power of knowledge and excel in your studies!

HartleyTaylor
New Contributor

The support for the YouTube for Schools program is commendable as it provides an educational platform for students and teachers alike. By offering a curated selection of educational content, it helps facilitate learning and supplement traditional classroom instruction. This program encourages digital literacy and opens up new avenues for educational resources. It is a valuable initiative that promotes accessible and engaging learning experiences for students across the globe.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors