Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
x_member
Contributor

Subscription renewals and geographic location

Can anyone help me with a subscription renewal question please?

Are subscriptions tied to geographic region? i.e. if purchasing through a reseller must they be used in the region that they were bought in? 

Is there any reason why I could not (for example) buy a subscription renewal through a US reseller to use in France?

12 REPLIES 12
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I never heard of that, maybe the EU or NA seller can't sell across GEO lines ( rules, VAT issues, partners restriction ). Fortiguard would care less where ever the fortigate sits at & a subscription PN is still  all the same.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
gschmitt
Valued Contributor

There are also certain countries which don't allow the normal fortigates due to Encryption (this is what the LE (Low Encryption) devices are for)

But I am not sure if this affects the Subscription selling :\

x_member

emnoc wrote:

I never heard of that, maybe the EU or NA seller can't sell across GEO lines ( rules, VAT issues, partners restriction ). Fortiguard would care less where ever the fortigate sits at & a subscription PN is still  all the same.

I should probably clarify that this isn't something I've encountered yet, more of a pre-emptive query as we will be looking to renew soon and there are significant pricing differences by region.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

FWIW: The prices difference is directly impacted by region for  forticare. I think if the unit is registered for one area that's where Fortinet will support it, but for fortiguard-srvsc I don't think it matters A subscription is a subscription, the same fortiguard network is just that a network.

FTNT made announcements back in Jan and Jun of 2015 & the prices went up by 10% iirc. This is a small bean to count for a SOHO or small office but a SP/ENT network with 100s+ of devices could be impacted from a maintenance budget.

Can you provide the SKU  ( the FC number  )  that your looking at and /or the price differences on  whatever your comparing?

ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
x_member

emnoc wrote:

Can you provide the SKU  ( the FC number  )  that your looking at and /or the price differences on  whatever your comparing?

The price differences are down to exchange rate differences (GBP / USD) but become fairly significant when looking at 2 / 3 year deals given the current rates; currently it's about a GBP 330 difference.

The bundle we're looking at is a standard 8x5 UTM on a FGT-60D; I'm afraid I don't know the SKU / FC number (sorry).

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

So it's just the pricing due to conversion, that's good to know. I going to germany in a few days, I should investigate this more. Don't know how well off the  EURO / USD . A penny saved , is a penny saved ;)

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
x_member
Contributor

Just to follow up on this.

I've just successfully applied a subscription pack purchased from a US reseller to a UK based unit. All seems well and we've saved a considerable amount.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Qs;

How much did you save,  and was it purchased from a amazon or other  online vendor?

I'm very curious

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
x_member

emnoc wrote:

Qs;

How much did you save,  and was it purchased from a amazon or other  online vendor?

I'm very curious

I believe we purchased from a US Fortinet reseller (found from the lookup) - we purchased a 3 year pack and saved about GBP200. Not small beer.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors