Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Kacperr
New Contributor

Stuck on Connecting after clicking the Connect button - FortiClient

Good morning,

I checked his laptop and it should work without any problems, but it still won't connect for some unknown reason. I fixed and updated everything, but the problem persists. It seems that something is wrong with the Windows system.

Here’s what I did:

1. Updated the BIOS firmware to the latest version (Dell Latitude 3540).
  2. Updated several drivers from Dell to the latest version.
  3. Used SFC (Windows tool to repair missing or corrupted system files) and DISM (Windows tool to repair the system image or modify the installation media).
  4. Uninstalled ESET (reinstalled it after finishing the work).
  5. Disabled the firewall.
  6. In CMD as an administrator, I executed: ipconfig /release, ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /renew, netsh int ip reset, netsh winsock reset.
  7. Added 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 to DNS.
  8. Reinstalled FortiClient.
  9. Added the certificate to FortiClient.

The same problem still occurs. It just stays on "Connecting" and nothing happens after clicking the "Connect" button.

Dell Latitude 3540

Windows 11 Pro 23H2

FortiClient VPN 7.4.0.1658

Anyone idea?

3 REPLIES 3
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello

I hope the following can help you troubleshoot your issue:

• Try on your browser https://vpn-gateway:port (if it doesn't open then your VPN server is not reachable)
  • Check FortiClient logs and FortiGate SSL-VPN debug logs
  • Try with older FortiClient VPN version (like 7.0)
  • Sometimes it is due NIC driver, so try change it, update it and even downgrade it
  • Try disable IPv6 on your Windows
  • Try with Windows 10
AEK
AEK
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @Kacperr,

I've seen similar issues with 7.4.0 FortiClient. Please try a different version. 

Regards,

Kacperr
New Contributor

Now we know with 99% certainty where the problem lies. It's mainly his router. The Dell Latitude laptop and the Windows system (version 23H2) are fine.

After enabling the hotspot from his private phone, we managed to connect with FortiClient. The problem is resolved.

PS. I downloaded and installed an older version of FortiClient, ver. 7.2.2, on his laptop.

PS2. Thank you for your help.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors