Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
it_adn
New Contributor

Strange routing issue for PPPoE interface - FortiGate 60E

Hello,

I'm using FortiGate 60E, firmware v7.2.8. I have 2 internet connections in one of my locations, main and failover. I always set it up with the same distance in static routes, in this case, 10 and different priorities for each, for the main one for example 5, and the failover one 6. In this scenario usually both connections work at the same time, I can ping external IP addresses etc.

The problem is when I set it up this way, the failover PPPoE connection doesn't work, it doesn't respond to pings and the failover connection doesn't even show up on the routing table despite adding it as a static route. It looks like the problem is only when it's a PPPoE connection, for others it works fine.

The way to bypass it is to click the option: retrieve default gateway from server:

wan2.png

It starts working, but you can only set here the administrative distance and it will supersede the main connection, which I don't want. But turning it on allows me to create a static route with a dynamic gateway:

wan1.png

and turn off the setting in the interface "retrieve default gateway from server". After doing so it works for about 48 hours without any problems, then you have to redo the whole thing to make it back online.

The funny thing is that when you turn off the retrieve default gateway option, a previously created static route with a dynamic gateway is still on the list:

wan4.png

but when you enter the static route record, it's not even there:

wan3.png

And when you open it and save it, it will stop working.

I think it's rather a bug than a feature, can you help me with that? I don't want to use an SD-WAN there.

1 Solution
adimailig
Staff
Staff

Hi @it_adn ,

You can change the priority of the static route by clicking the "Advance Options".

When "retrieve default gateway from server" is enable, it will use the default gateway from PPPoE Server. If disable, it will not and you will need to configure static route for the gateway.
If you have "retrieve default gateway from server" enable, no need for the static route with dynamic-gateway.

If you have  "retrieve default gateway from server" and static route at the same time, routing table will get the one with lower distance.

By default PPPoE retrieve gateway have Distance of 5 and Priority of 1. but you can change it.
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Changing-Distance-and-Priority-of-Default-...

Best Regards,

Arnold Dimailig
TAC Engineer

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
adimailig
Staff
Staff

Hi @it_adn ,

You can change the priority of the static route by clicking the "Advance Options".

When "retrieve default gateway from server" is enable, it will use the default gateway from PPPoE Server. If disable, it will not and you will need to configure static route for the gateway.
If you have "retrieve default gateway from server" enable, no need for the static route with dynamic-gateway.

If you have  "retrieve default gateway from server" and static route at the same time, routing table will get the one with lower distance.

By default PPPoE retrieve gateway have Distance of 5 and Priority of 1. but you can change it.
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Changing-Distance-and-Priority-of-Default-...

Best Regards,

Arnold Dimailig
TAC Engineer
it_adn

Hi @adimailig 

It works, thank you very much!

adimailig

@it_adn 
Glad to help. You're most welcome.

Best Regards,

Arnold Dimailig
TAC Engineer
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors