Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Starting over FortiSwitch configuration at FortiGate

I can't easily find this part of FGT-Managed FSW operation in the guid books or somewhere else. So I decided to post this.

I was trying to figure out how to duplicate Cisco CBS switch's default QoS behaviors with FSWs and looked like I messed up config probably because I was touching both FGT and FSW config via console. So I decided to start over from scratch. Then encountered some difficulty because a simple Factory reset of those managed switches via GUI doesn't erase whatever configured under "config switch-controller". Especially under "config switch-controller managed-switch".

Even when I "Delete" each FSW at WiFi&Switch Controller->Managed FortiSwitches in GUI, the config under "config switch-controller managed-switch" stays there. And maybe because of that, I don't seem to be able to re-register/re-authorize the FSWs. In this situation, do I have to go in CLI and delete all of them one by one (or just "purge")?

Or, is there a simple button to erase all FSW related config without factory-resetting the entire FGT config?

Thanks,

Toshi

2 Solutions
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I did that FSW factory reset first then realized it didn't cause it to disappear from the managed FSW view in GUI. That's why I asked.
But at the same time I decided to upgrade all FSWs from 7.0.6 to 7.2.4 based on TAC's recommendation through a QoS config ticket, so I ended up factoryresetting the FGT as well, and am starting over on both FGT and FSWs now.

This is just a test environment so I need to figure out how to do this in real existing FGT customer situations before we start installing FSWs to them.

For now I don't have the situation any more. Thank you for responding to me.

Toshi

View solution in original post

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

After further testing, I opened a ticket at TAC and I got the answer to my original question. It's not a single button but a 2-step operation.
To erase what the FGT has learned and start over an FSW activation in GUI after factoryreseting the FSW is:
1) "Deauthorize" the FSW in the context menu, which would cause it to disappear from the "List" view.

2) Switch to "Topology" view and "Delete" the FSW in the context menu.

Toshi

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gfleming
Staff
Staff

Good question. You probably have to delete from the CLI on the FortiGate.

Not sure if it makes any diffence, did you do factory reset from the FortiGate or the FortiSwitch console?

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortiswitch/7.2.4/fortilink-guide/173266/discovering-authorizing-...

Cheers,
Graham
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I did that FSW factory reset first then realized it didn't cause it to disappear from the managed FSW view in GUI. That's why I asked.
But at the same time I decided to upgrade all FSWs from 7.0.6 to 7.2.4 based on TAC's recommendation through a QoS config ticket, so I ended up factoryresetting the FGT as well, and am starting over on both FGT and FSWs now.

This is just a test environment so I need to figure out how to do this in real existing FGT customer situations before we start installing FSWs to them.

For now I don't have the situation any more. Thank you for responding to me.

Toshi

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

After further testing, I opened a ticket at TAC and I got the answer to my original question. It's not a single button but a 2-step operation.
To erase what the FGT has learned and start over an FSW activation in GUI after factoryreseting the FSW is:
1) "Deauthorize" the FSW in the context menu, which would cause it to disappear from the "List" view.

2) Switch to "Topology" view and "Delete" the FSW in the context menu.

Toshi

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Same can be done in CLI:

config switch-controller managed-switch
edit <Serial_Number>
set fsw-wan1-admin disable
end
config switch-controller managed-switch
del <Serial_Number>

end

Labels