Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
davidinark
New Contributor

Speedtest

Not sure where to post this: When going to sites like Speedtest.net or Speakeasy.com to perform WAN speed tests, the Foritgate 300C is obviously buffering the download file because I am getting 80+ Megabit results, and I have 6 Megs. Any idea how to make Fortigate *NOT* cache/buffer? Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Why do you think it' s buffering that data ? You should really use something like iperf and set a instance up on both a internal and external interface to measure pure thru-put with all UTM features disable. Also in your example, are you maybe confusing bits vrs bytes per-second? i.e mbps vrs MBps Is two different items

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
davidinark
New Contributor

LOL, there is a very good chance I am confusing them. In any case, before I installed the Fortigate, I could run the speed test and it would show me in realtime what the network test was doing. Now, the test runs, but does it really just buffering the test file. Once buffered, the system shoots out to the max speed. I can run the same test outside my network and get the results I " used to" get, so i know the issue is with the Fortigate. I will try the UTM disabled test to see if that makes a difference. If it does, then I have a place to start troubleshooting. Or I can ignore the whole thing and pretend everything' s fine. :)
billp
Contributor

You might want to look at this, too: http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=FD33312

Bill ========== Fortigate 600C 5.0.12, 111C 5.0.2 Logstash 1.4.1

Bill ========== Fortigate 600C 5.0.12, 111C 5.0.2 Logstash 1.4.1
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

yes, most probably the traffic is going through a UTM proxy - AV, IPS, ...
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
davidinark
New Contributor

I think it is the A/V scanner. In the end, I quit worrying about it. When users complain about bandwidth, I' ll call our state-provided ISP and see what they pull up out of their routers. Thanks for the input!
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors