Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
TripoV
Visitor

Some video games are randomly losing connection

Hello, I have a fortigate 100 e physical firewall in my firm and when we play some games, we get dropped randomly, but consistently. Sometimes it takes one minute, sometimes 10, 15, but sooner or latter it happens.

Some games are fine - nothing happens, others display this behaviour consistently.

We are on a domain but the same happens with local users connected through the firewall. I am not sure what settings in the admin panel could interefere with this but help is appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Atul_S
Staff
Staff

Hi Tripo,

To exactly answer your query is same as looking for a needle in haystack as there will be many reasons for the drops. I would advise start looking at the policy level and if you have UTMs applied, start taking them off(each time you do this, clear the session for the test machine) one by one and test the connection each time to isolate in case if any one the UTM is dropping the connection randomly. Thanks,

Atul Srivastava
TripoV

Thank you for the quick response. I assume what you are talking about can be looked at the policies, but I can't see anything regarding UTMs there. Maybe Im not looking at the correct thing.

Screenshot 2024-10-04 083726.png 

Atul_S

Hi,

If you expand the + sign on the right for the correct pair(If your host machine is coming via wifi, expand the port2-wan1 pair and look for the policy that is serving this connection. Within that policy you, check if any UTMs are applied. Attached image is for your reference.

Thanks,

Atul Srivastava
TripoV

Ok I understand, I found the segment that applied to me and removed "deep inspection". That was the only culprit I could find. How do I clear the session for my machine now? Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-10-04 085302.png

Atul_S

Hi,

Please use the link to apply the correct filter(in your case, src IP should be good). But please do note that, the moment you clear the session, all the sessions specific to the applied filters will be cleared and you may experience disconnection. Since you have multiple UTM profiles(to remove one by one) to test, keep the filter as is each time. But once you complete the test, don't forget to clear the filter itself.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Using-filters-to-clear-sessions-on-a-Forti...

Thanks,

Atul Srivastava
DPadula

Hi TripoV

Check the following article: Troubleshooting Tip: FortiGate session table information
It shows how to check and clean the session table.

Regards
DPadula
TripoV

Ooh ok, this seems a little bit intricate. Does the session clean itself automatically, periodically? 

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors