Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
armeez88
New Contributor

Slow VPN speed

Hello! Please, help me. 

We use FortiGate 200E in our company.

I have difficulty using the VPN. The speed when connecting to VPN is only 1-2 mbps. How can I fix this? The channel at both ends of 50 mbps

2 Solutions
Ashik_Sheik
Contributor II

Hi,

Are you using SSL or IPSEC .? Is it site to site or Remote access ?

Speed is always depending on your internet bandwidth .If the Internet Link is over utilized then there is no much room for VPN traffic .You better focus on bandwidth management .

Regds,

Ashik

Ashu 

View solution in original post

Ashu
atsak
New Contributor III

All - this isn't an issue of CIFS or NFS being slow over VPN because of the inherent nature of those protocols.  This is a bug in the Fortinet software, and I'm surprised it's not a bigger deal to more people.  It happens on  IPSEC tunnels as well.

I've spent a week working on this on devices using various 5.6 versions.

I've adjusted every MTU and TCP MSS setting.

I've adjusted NAT traversal to forced.

The 355kb/sec transfer is the clue - how is it possible multiple people are getting the exact same performance from different servers and different circuits and different hardware?   Because it's an inherant firmware bug.

Someone from Fortinet needs to send out a bulletin to explain this in detail and note the correct firmware version that fixes it for everyone.     Honestly can't believe this has gone on for so long.  I have a ticket open but they haven't yet replied.   Frankly not a good reflection on Fortinet.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
felipe_Nascimento

I'm having the same issue.

Someone managed to solve?

juniper_fan2

My issue believe was on the Juniper side. I had the External/public interface open to SSL/SSH for remote troubleshooting but not using firewall filters. CPU usage was causing bandwidth issue.

david_ekstrom
New Contributor II

I know this is an old thread, but we are seeing more than a 50% drop between a user's native speed versus when on VPN.  Their internet provider speed is 150M, on VPN it's 46M.  We are on a FortiGate 200E running 7.0.9.  The user has FortiClient via EMS, version 7.0.7

Has there ever been a solution?  We migrated from an old Cisco ASA 5512 and AnyConnect, which was way better performance.  This almost makes me want to just go back.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors