Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Eimantas
New Contributor

Slow Social Networking

Hello,

In our Companies Groups we manage AP with fortiwlc. Fortiwlc is connect with fortigate vm64, which is working as main fortigate. through it goes to the internet. the same rules are aplied on wifi and lan network. with lan we haven't any problem. in our WiFI network we have problem with social networking.  Facebook loading very slow photo. whatsapp, viber and other app promting  that we are using slow internet connection and so. any advise?

9 REPLIES 9
gfleming
Staff
Staff

Is it only social networking? Or is it possible this is just what the majority of users are accessing and so that's the problem that is being reported? My hunch tells me all wi-fi traffic is affected and not just social networking.

In this case its likely a wi-fi issue like interference with other wi-fi networks, bad signal strength, over-utilized AP (too many clients, too much bandwidth) or other things.

If it's truly just an issue with Social Networking and other things work fine like streaming video, regular web pages, etc then look at the firewall for differences in policies between lan and wifi (i.e. do you have app control turned on for one but not the other)?

Also are you using the same network config on both lan and wifi? Do all clients use the same DNS servers, for example? If wifi is using different DNS try and different DNS server, etc.

Cheers,
Graham
Eimantas
New Contributor

yes it is only social network. with streaming video, teams meeting we don't have any issue.

Signal stength is good. in head office is not a lot client. it is around 10 client. seems everything working fine exclude social networking. employes wifi and lan get ip from the same subnet. so firewall rule and other setting is the same on wifi and on lan. speed test check are the same on wifi and on lan. maybe there is something with fortiwlc controler... as i mention before we manage all ap through fortiwlc..

gfleming

Interesting. Is it consistent? Like social networking sites are always slow on wifi or only during certain times?

Cheers,
Graham
Eimantas

problems begins after connect to wifi more then 30min, sometimes after 1hour. if reconnect to wiffi works max 30min...

gfleming

This is very strange indeed! Can you confirm the issues occur on all ForitAPs or do some clients possibly connecting to other FortiAPs not have the issue?

Cheers,
Graham
Eimantas

problems with all APs, in 5 different offices

gfleming

Are your AP's in bridge mode or tunnel mode? If the latter, can you try converting one to bridge mode and see if it makes a difference. That would rule out the WLC as the culprit.

Cheers,
Graham
Eimantas

hi, all ESS profiles are in Bridge MODEwlc.PNG

gfleming
Staff
Staff

Having a really hard time understanding what this could be. I would suggest next steps would be to take some packet captures on the laptops and see what you can see when the problem occurs.

Also, I would suggest if you are not 100% sure it's only social media traffic, to really ensure it's not also affecting other websites like news sites (CNN), shopping (Ebay, Amazon), etc etc. In other words, if Facebook is slow to load, can you go to cnn.com, amazon.com and have fast loading times and then go back to facebook and still experience slowness?

Cheers,
Graham
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors