Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sw2090
SuperUser
SuperUser

Sites that use Cloudflare DNS Proxy with ECH will not open behind a FortiGate

This recently has happened to us with our own Website and all our FGT.

When one tries to access our website all one gets in Chrome is a QUIC Protocoll error.

Looking at Chrome's netlog on a client affected I saw that it tried to use Cloudflare's ECH Protocoll to do encrypted client handshake to their proxy. This failed because UTM blocks  cloudflare-ech.com.

If I add that FQDN to a policy that doesn't have filters and comes in front of the other internet policies our website works fine.

Cloudflare community also has a thread on this: https://community.cloudflare.com/t/err-ech-not-negotiated-problem/710760

I cannot say wether Cloudflare did something bad by enabling a feature they still declare experimental as default or not. (This is said in the linked thread).

However since non-filtering cloudlare-ech.com is not a solution (but a fix) I have openend a ticket with tac (which escalated to a senior with the first answer) aswell as with cloudflare support.

currently waiting for answers.

Thought I post this here just for if someone else runs into this issue :)

stay safe

Sebastian

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
0 REPLIES 0
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors